Monday, December 13, 2010

An early Christmas gift.


Merry Christmas to all!






Yesterday was one of those golden star moments in my mothering career. When I say, "golden star," I mean one of those moments when one has a glimmer of hope that her child is going to end up the way intended, that he or she is grasping the important values being instilled in him.

Josiah had an upset stomach all morning, and after the third pair of underwear, we decided it was prudent to stay home from church. I was doing work on the computer when Josiah came around the corner mumbling to himself, "Oh, Jesus, please make my tummy feel better. Please, God!" I smiled, a little startled to hear him praying out loud to Jesus spontaneously with his need. I pulled him up in my lap and we talked about how God would definitely hear His prayer and help his tummy. Then, he looked up at me and said, "Mommy, you could pray for my tummy to get better?" My insides got warm and mushy as I laid my hand on my son's tummy and prayed God would show my 3 year old His faithfulness. I held Josiah in my lap as I continued to work and about 10 minutes later Josiah said, "Oh, my tummy is hurting again. Mommy, you could pray for me again?" We prayed again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that all of the belly aching ceased after that. It did, and he felt fine the rest of the day.

The fact my child realized he had a problem and it was a good idea to ask the Lord to intercede on his behalf was, well, a golden moment for me. I pray that he makes the same connection for the rest of his life!

2 comments:

kristymasterson said...

how precious! what a wonderful moment to share in God's faithfulness in prayer!

cylelewis said...

I love it when they ask you to pray for them and I also love it when they want to pray for me or Shannon when we are struggling physically. It is so rewarding to see them grasp spiritual concepts!