Monday, December 14, 2009

the power of the woot kack.

If you can interpret "woot kack," then you could probably be certified in two year old lingo. Last month we introduced fruit snacks for the first time, and since then they have been the golden snack of choice for Josiah. I am slightly ashamed to admit what a strong power they hold over Josiah. They were an integral part of our successful 12 hour car ride to Oklahoma, and they have (gasp) been a really good deterrent from "na-na." Occasionally Josiah wakes up from his nap too early, leaving him sleepy and fussy. He is usually in high demand of na-na, which he cannot have. We have offered every imaginable substitute, such as watching a favorite movie, playing with special toys, drinking something else, or having a snack. None can satisfy. HOWEVER...put a fruit snack in the child's mouth and the world has hope again. I don't want food to have a hold over my child in his long term future, so I am hesitant to admit such things to the blogging world. That being said, this is one of the greatest discoveries we have made. In case you were wondering, he doesn't get fruit snacks every day, and he gets them at times other than distress. Greatest thanks to Welch's for some woot kacks.

Recently, Josiah's favorite "moo-me" (movie) has changed from "giraffes" (a video of the San Diego Wildlife Park to classical music) to "Josiah cake" (The video of Josiah's second year of life). The child is completely enamored by watching the things he has done in the past. He has learned the value of videos, and as soon as we film one he is anxious to watch the playback. I am not sure what the developmental reasoning is behind this, but it is as if it helps him concrete his memories. That, and, he thinks he is a pretty great guy. ha.

That leads me to remember another story regarding the comedian residing in Josiah. Recently he hopped up on the back of his basketball goal and thought it was funny. He came to retrieve me from the kitchen, calling my name and then making a ridiculously fake laugh. I followed him, and he hopped on the back of the basketball goal and proceeded to laugh the same, "huh huh huh." Then, he told me "can-ka." I couldn't decipher that word, so I told him I didn't understand. He then said, "cheeeeeeessseee!" I realized he thought he was so funny that I needed to get the camera and take a picture. He of course wanted to see it after I took it, and he even insisted I take another.

One of Josiah's newest discoveries has been how batteries make the electronic world function. Since his talk isn't clear, he of course got distressed when he was holding a non-functioning toy and shouting "baa-baa's, baa-baa's" into my clueless face. I didn't understand and honestly discounted it. That is, until I came back and found that somehow he had acquired a tiny screwdriver from the junk drawer and was attempting to open the back of the toy. It clicked for me, so I asked him, "batteries?" to which he replied with a relieved, drawn-out "ooooooooohhhhh." We were at the thrift store the other day and a table toy was in reach. Josiah got down to look at it, banged on the parts with no result, and immediately bent down to look underneath it while talking about the "baa baas." Sometimes something so simple seems far beyond the critical thinking he should be able to do.

No comments: