I just yesterday figured out that "adjustable" children's jeans really do mean that they are adjustable. Apparently, that button and piece of elastic on the inside that I have conveniently ignored really is useful. It makes so much sense in retrospect. I have done my fair share of complaining about how I bought all of these 24 month and 2T jeans for Josiah and he can't fit in any of him. I chalked it up to him being an early potty trainer with underwear instead of a diaper and put him in 18 month pants instead. He recently experienced a growth spurt and is too tall for the 18 month pants. This is where I must address my judgmental self. I have always condemned the mother that let her child wear high-water pants because she didn't realize they were just too small. In the last week, I have found myself denying the pants were too short so that he could actually have appropriate sized waists. Coming to grips with reality, I succumbed to the larger size and, consequently, large waist...until I realized why my girlfriend at work told me to buy the adjustable pants.
I of course DID buy adjustable pants...completely naively and without any clue how to use them. Yesterday I tugged on the elastic and realized that I had been complaining for months and had a solution within reach. Note to first timers out there: the elastic pulls through and actually adjusts the waist smaller. Who knew. Apparently my girlfriend at work (who is also a first timer). At least the child has a whole new world of pants that will actually fit now (even if by elastic manipulation).
Injustice #2- Can someone please explain to me why "training" toothpaste that is fluoride-free and supposedly the step to teach children how to spit instead of swallow tastes so sweetly of bubblegum goodness? THIS is certainly a parenting injustice. Really?! How am I supposed to teach the child to spit out such a delightful flavor? P.S. The smell of kiddy toothpaste makes me want to gag, and it is INCREDIBLY potent.
Injustice #3-I thought because my child has a little more self control this year that we would be able to decorate the whole Christmas tree this year. Last year the bottom third was grossly bare, and the garland had to be replaced each night. We decorated the tree last night, and this morning I have discovered my ill fate. Not only does my child have access to more of the tree simply because he can reach 6 inches higher this year, he has the problem-solving skills to push a chair over next to the tree to access all of the ornaments I very intentionally placed out of reach. A couple hours later we are still working on behavior modification and learning to appreciate the ornaments on the tree without taking them off again. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.
1 comment:
Adjustable pants are not just for babies either! My 13 year old has always had a very slender waist and long legs. Even slim jeans were too big if I bought them long enough. I don't know who invented adjustable pants but I love that person!!
Post a Comment