Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sushi is for urban babies.

I had intentions of writing a lengthy blog, but now it is 10:20pm and I am feeling as if the winds were taken out of my sails about 20 minutes ago. I will do my best. Bear with whatever comes out (or doesn't.)

This last weekend my mom and Bob came over to take us to lunch for my birthday. We went to one of my favorite little Thai restaurants. Josiah had a ball with them. I ordered a side of fried rice for him, knowing it would be a hit. It was going to be...until Paw Paw had sushi. I have such an urban chic child. He loves sushi. He took one look at Paw Paw's sushi and very kindly asked for one of his California rolls. He proceeded to consume the remaining two as well. Then, he asked for more. 8 California rolls later...we all chipped in to munch on his very delicious fried rice as he sat stuffed like a squirrel packing away for winter.

My parents gave me a new point and shoot camera for my birthday, as the "minor" repairs estimate I received for our last one was $97.00. All of the pictures were taken with the new camera as we tested it out for the first time. It is fabulous and I am so grateful for it!

It's seriously difficult to take a decent photo with a 2.5 year old...at least this 2.5 year old.

Monday was my actual birthday. It came and went like a whisper in the night. I worked Saturday night through Tuesday night, so I spent the majority of my birthday at work and in bed. My favorite part of my birthday was crawling in bed with Jonathan and Josiah in the morning. I love those guys. Snuggling with the whole family is my favorite thing to do. It was short lived, as my arrival reminded Josiah that he had accidentally "overslept" until 8am. I wish he did that on the days I am home! The second sweetest part of my birthday was hearing Josiah sing "Happy Birthday to Mommy." I will put a video up of it soon. It will melt your heart (maybe?).

I woke up a little early and we went to Chickfila for an early birthday dinner. Exciting, I know. Especially since we go there twice a week. HOWEVER, I do like their yogurt parfaits, but I can't ever really come up with a strong enough desire to purchase one for $2.25. I vowed for my birthday I would eat one without associating it with what I feel is a cost slightly too pricey for a cup of yogurt. I did, and it was yummy.


I went back to work, and wouldn't you know there was no gratification of any of "my" babies born on my birthday. They all seemed to make up for it on the 27th, though, because we were swamped the next night! Jonathan flew to Chicago yesterday, meaning our true birthday celebration is postponed indefinitely. I'm the kind of person that wants to celebrate my birthday when it happens. That sounds so outrageous, but I really (2 days later) don't care if I don't celebrate it until next year. It's like trying to do "Santa's coming!" on the 28th. Kind of anti-climatic. It just doesn't really work for me. Don't feel sorry for me. I don't. It's just the way things had to be this year. I am so grateful to be off work again, as I worked 7 of the last 9 nights. I was beginning to feel like I didn't have a life.

Tonight I watched as Josiah lined up all of our pots in a very meticulous line to play drums. He then fished two wooden spoons out of the utensil drawer and started to bang away. We didn't teach him to line up the pots. This is completely spontaneous. In fact, we upgraded from "pot" drums when he was a baby. It seems retro is so hip these days. Anyway, he is getting quite good at keeping a beat. As you can see in the photo, he holds no reserve while playing. Those two wooden spoons are in 4 or 5 pieces in my kitchen now. Good thing the dollar store holds an abundant supply, because I'm confident those won't be the last two wooden spoons sacrificed for the greater good of drumming.

Tonight Josiah looked up at me and said, "Mommy, hold you!" This is what he has said his whole speaking life. I love that phrase. I hear it so often that I'm immune to the incorrect grammar. That is, until I told him I couldn't hold him right then and he replied, "Mommy, hold ME please!" My heart was crushed. My baby is growing up. He knows how to correct his own grammar. He is dropping one of my favorite, fondest phrases in favor of a good command of the English language. I suppose I can't protest too hard in light of that...but I surely do love hearing, "Mommy, hold you, please." It makes me teary to think that I won't hear it much longer.

No comments: