Saturday, July 7, 2012

Potty (un)perfect.

This week I got my baby potties back from a friend and decided to potty train Evangeline.  I mean, she has been walking a full two weeks so it seemed like a perfect time.  On Thursday I started my daunting mission of watch and wait.  It was a long day.  As if watching a naked baby with great intensity for hours on end wasn't bad enough, somehow Evangeline managed to pee twice in the two 15 second breaks I took to run and grab something from another room.  Never mind the fact I hadn't taken my eyes off of her for the hour and a half preceding those 15 seconds.  Day one we finished with half of the potties in the potty, only half of the time.  Not horrible, but not what I was hoping for.  Day two we had a poop and three consecutive pees on the floor...and I called it quits.  I didn't call it quits because of our bad track record, though that did play a role.  I called it quits because I realized she has the full capability and comprehension level necessary for success...and no desire whatsoever to make it happen.  She didn't care one bit when I wiped up the 15th puddle off the floor.  She did, however, understand when I told her pee pee and poo poo go in the potty.  It feels eerily similar to the walking delay---capable and uninterested.  I called it quits and decided to try again in a month or so, or perhaps just when she starts to show mild interest in this activity.  So, we diapered up and started on a new adventure for the day.  I decided to make her some new headbands.  I believe her hair is thinning slightly on top.  I don't braid it super tight, but I think the baby hair just doesn't have the same strength as adult hair and I am not about to have a balding baby.  I decided to issue a free hair decree until further notice.  If you are going to have free hair you need fabulous hair accessories (or so I think).  When the cute flower headbands were expensive at even Walmart I decided I could make them.  Thanks to the internet, my perception became reality.  In fact, it was quite fun.  I used headbands from the dollar store and t-shirts from the thrift store for my materials.  I loved the way they turned out and have started to wonder how different vintage fabrics and flower variations would look.  One little girl can only have so many headbands (it's not true, I just say this to reason with myself), so I am planning all of the fun baby and birthday gifts I can make in the future.  

I was content with my potty for headbands trade.  I felt resolved about the whole thing, as 17 months was a little bit cavalier for the potty.  That is, until tonight when Evangeline looked at me and said, "Mommy, poo poo."  I said, "You went poo poo?"  She shook her head no.  Then, she said, "diaper."  I smelled her diaper.  Nothing.  Then, about 20 seconds later she tensed her face and I realized that child knew she was about to go poo poo and she was informing me.  Before bed she stopped me and said, "Mommy, pee pee."  Sure enough, the diaper got warm under my hand as she announced her play by play once again.  Clearly, she was learning more than I realized in our day and a half escapade and we will probably try to revisit again sometime in the next couple of weeks if I can clear the calendar for a few days.

No comments: