5 years ago I was lamenting the confusion of daylight savings time as I tried to put together a timeline of my previous few hours. It was important because I had just pushed out a precious 7lb 4oz person that would forever change my life. That sweet, tiny little baby turned my world upside down as I realized that before that moment I had never truly loved anyone simply because they existed. My heart found new depths as I realized just how unbelievable it was to be privileged with the new title of mom. Five years was a really long time ago. It was also just a blink. I can't believe I have had the privilege of mothering my sweet firstborn for a full half of a decade. This week he informed me that just because he is five it doesn't mean he won't love me anymore. In fact, he will always love me, even when he is bigger. He won't even forget my name. (what a relief). He is one hundred percent convinced he wants to grow old in my house and will never, ever grow tired of cuddling with his mom. He is also fully confident that no woman will ever win his heart the way I have. It's so painfully sweet to hear him make such declarations, as I know the next 5 years will pass in another blink, and then 5 more, and somewhere within those quick moments these truths he holds self-evident will no longer be as clear to him as they are today. And that's the way it's supposed to be. So for today, I smile deep within myself when he swoons me with promises that I know he can't keep and squeezes down next to me for a while.
Josiah Liam Rich, you are treasured. You are loved. You are celebrated. You are and always will be my special boy.





1 comment:
Happy birthday, Josiah! What a blessing little boys are to their mommies! Sometimes I want to freeze time!
Post a Comment