I am overjoyed to announce that the Lord's lovingkindness has exceeded our understanding once again. On Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 12:22pm, we welcomed our sweet daughter Adele June into the world. This is the story of how it happened.
![]() |
I had an ideal birth dreamed up for this baby, but there were several factors that I wasn't sure would come together. Luckily, I identified that and was really just looking forward to finding out how the story would unfold. Those several factors mostly included the people I wanted to be present for the birth of this baby. Josiah wanted to be present for the birth and we had agreed, under expected conditions, to allow him to be a part of it. It also meant we needed another adult present with him in the delivery room in case he got overwhelmed or changed his mind--enter my mother. Another important person--my own husband. Jonathan had arrangements to travel to Los Angeles for 5 days in my 38th week of pregnancy. We made the decision together that he should continue with his plan, and I had an extreme peace that everything was going to work out. That being said, I was really hoping the baby would arrive before his trip or after it. Finally, I wanted my best friend who has captured so many of our memories through her camera lens to be able to capture the birth story that way, too. Through our journeys as mothers, neither of us had ever had the opportunity to be present for the other's births, and we were hoping that somehow between the fact that she lives two hours away, has two kids herself, and has quite a busy work travel schedule, she would still somehow manage to make it. Our best chance for it to fall into place was for me to deliver the baby during my 37th week, when she would be visiting Atlanta for the week and would be more readily available. While Josiah came during the 37th week, I didn't hold any expectations for this baby. I knew it was very possible she might hang in there for weeks more than he did. As if that weren't enough people to have present on my ideal list, add to it my two favorite midwife friends who I was hoping could be present to catch my sweet girl. Now, the list is complete. That's a lot of people to pull together, and once everyone's schedules flushed out there were literally only a couple of days in which it might happen, one of which was Thursday, April 11, 2013.
I set my mind to go into labor on the night of Wednesday, April 10th. It seemed a little silly that someone could will a day for their own child to be born. I see women all the time that wouldn't still be pregnant, given the choice themselves. I went before the Lord in prayer about the request, readily acknowledging that I was not going to hasten the days that He had chosen for my daughter. It seemed a lot to ask, but I decided I would do what I could and trust that the Lord's plan would prevail in the end.
I finished a mandatory work class Wednesday afternoon, and on the car ride home I told the baby she was free to come. All of my obligations were completed, my to-do list was done, and it was go time. I went to my regular check up that afternoon and asked my midwife to check my cervix. I was 3-4 centimeters dilated and 60% effaced. That exam was completely unimpressive based on my last pregnancy, yet I still told my sweet friend (and midwife) I hoped to see her again in the next 24 hours.
We went to bed around 11pm on Wednesday, and I wasn't feeling even a drop unusual. I was hoping for a nice night time surprise, but I began to question how crazy I was for believing I could actually go into labor on the one day I desired. At 1am I woke up with a contraction. I felt the gradual surge of pain and then the release. It felt good to feel the pain. I decided to keep sleeping as long as I could. I woke up every 15-30 minutes and smiled as my stomach tightened with pain and then released.
At 2:25am my contractions began coming every 5-7 minutes. I stayed in the bed, feeling the pain and knowing that it wasn't a big deal if I could still lay in bed through them. I was happy they were increasing in frequency, but I wasn't convinced it meant labor, as they were still only as painful as strong menstrual cramps. One hour later, at 3:25am, I decided I would get up and walk around our room for 10 minutes to see if I could get them to come stronger or more frequent. I was hesitant to waste my energy for too long, but I walked circles and questioned just how crazy I was for being up in the middle of the night. At 4am I decided to go downstairs and retrieve my exercise ball. I sat on it at the end of the bed, timing my contractions. The time passed quickly as I rocked and swirled my hips to the beat of my thoughts. At 4:30am, the contractions were every 3-5 minutes, but I decided the intensity wasn't strong enough to merit being alert the whole time. I moved my exercise ball next to our bedroom desk and propped my head up on pillows. I opened my eyes every time a contraction came, surprised every time to see that only 3-4 minutes had passed. If it weren't for the clock I would have thought they were still 5-8 minutes apart. The pain was slightly stronger, but I was still able to breathe calmly through them with my head resting on the pillows.
At 5am I decided I should try to get back in bed for as long as possible. I knew that if I could manage to stay in the bed then I wasn't having strong enough contractions. At 5:30am, I decided to check my own cervix. I was 4cm and 80% effaced, with my bag of water bulging during the contractions. I thought it was probably a change from my midwife's exam, but it was also insignificant enough for me to believe the contractions were going to produce a baby that day. I got back in bed until 6am, when I decided to go downstairs for a Gatorade. I was feeling slightly nauseous, and it seemed like the only thing I could stomach. As I was returning to the stairs, a contraction surged strong enough to make me bend over the railing. That is what I had been waiting on. At 6:15am, I finally felt as if I wouldn't jinx my plan by admitting to Jonathan that I thought I was in labor. He laughed and told me to wake him up when I needed help. At 6:30, I checked my cervix again to see if the stronger contractions had produced any change. They hadn't, but I continued to contract with enough intensity that I decided to call my mom at 6:40 and warn her she might need to change her plans for the day. I could still talk through the contractions and warned her we might just be hanging out. In fact, I was quite enjoying working through the contractions myself in the quiet and the dark.
At 7am I texted my midwife I was contracting but not fully convinced it was labor. She encouraged me to do something to distract myself. I had the house clean and my bag packed, so at 7:45am I found myself making cookie brownie bars and needing to dance through my contractions for the first time. I felt 80% positive things were progressing and I warned my best friend that we wouldn't be able to make our 9:30 zoo date. I also asked just how much warning she would need if I decided to finally admit I was in labor. She knew me well enough to make childcare arrangements and start to initiate them without my final word.
The kids woke up around 8am and I fed them breakfast. My parents arrived around 8:30, and I began making final preparations for a trip to the hospital. I checked my cervix again and I was 5-6cm dilated and 100% effaced. I knew that change was enough to conclude this was, in fact, resulting in a baby that day. I woke Jonathan up and encouraged him to shower and do anything he needed to do before heading to the hospital. I was still feeling as if my contractions weren't strong enough to imminently produce a baby, but I knew I was supposed to get antibiotics for 4 hours prior to the birth and thought perhaps that timeline was becoming realistic. By 9:15am, my contractions were strong enough for me to push Jonathan to finish up and pack the car. In the car I interviewed Josiah on the video camera and sound perky as if we are headed to the hospital for someone else's birth. We arrived at the hospital around 9:45am, and as I bent with the strength of the contractions I concluded I was finally beginning active labor. I called my best friend to tell her to come on to the hospital, but knowing me well enough, she was only a mile away. We checked in at 10am, and I laughed as they sent us down to the smallest (and only open) labor room. My midwife, Julie, checked me and said I was 6 centimeters and 100% effaced. I chatted with my support team, including my best friend who had arrived shortly after us.
![]() |
| You can tell how serious the guys were about what was transpiring |
They started my IV at 10:30am, and I asked for an exercise ball to sit on when they could bring one. I was still very happy and chatty in between contractions. I commented on how different it was than my first fast and furious labor. It had hit me like a freight train from the start and I was in a fog of painful delirium even in between the contractions. It required too much energy for me to engage with anyone, and I wasn't fully aware of what was going on around me. This labor was much different. I could still smile and converse in between, even if at only partial capacity. I switched from sitting on the exercise ball to draping my upper body over it while on my knees and then back again. My mom rubbed my shoulders and handed me cool washcloths for my face. For the majority of the contractions I moaned rhythmically and breathed into those cool, soothing washcloths.
![]() |
![]() |
| Josiah took an intermission from the iPad to rub my back and tell me I was doing a good job. He also asked for something to drink. |
Around 11:30am I told everyone I felt as if I was beginning to fade into the foggy brain that accompanies labor transition. They laughed and agreed. My second midwife, Margaret, came in at 11:40am to check on me and I was able to chat with her. She delivered Josiah, so I was quite happy to see that she had come in for the occasion and that she and Julie were going to tag team my delivery support. It was my dream team, and everyone was present. I hunkered down into serious work mode, but I was still in relatively good spirits in between contractions. That is, until Jonathan started moaning through a contraction with me, and I about hit the ceiling. I was very vocal on how I was not assisted by his sympathy moan. Everyone laughed at the reaming, but they all knew that it was almost "go" time. Just before noon, I was hit with a couple of paralyzing contractions that demanded all of me. My midwives came to check on me right at noon and I told them I was ready to get into the waterbirth tub. I was getting mowed over during the contractions and it was time for something different. Julie suggested that I let her check me, so I climbed onto the bed. I just begged to not still be 6 centimeters. She checked me and said I was 9.5 centimeters and she didn't think we would have time to fill the tub, but we could try if I wanted. The alternative was if I allowed them to break my water then the baby would come within 5 minutes. I wasn't capable of deciding what route to take. Another contraction hit and laying in the bed was so painful that all I could do was let big crocodile tears run down my cheeks. I reassured her that I was still able to do this and not typically a crier, but it just hurt so bad I wasn't capable of responding any other way.
After that contraction passed they got me up and into the shower, insisting I would be much better off. They were right. My good spirits returned. I was once again on the exercise ball, but Margaret was running the warm shower over my back. The water was incredibly therapeutic.
Josiah came and took pictures of me, which was a nice comic relief.
![]() |
| Josiah's picture, taken at 12:07pm. Looking good for about to push a baby out! |
![]() |
| Happy once again! |
![]() |
| Josiah got to cut the umbilical cord with Jonathan's help |
![]() |
| Josiah got the reward of being the first to hold her besides me. It was a sweet moment to watch my oldest so enthralled with his newest sister. |
![]() |
| Margaret, the amazing woman who caught both of my birthed beauties |
![]() |
| Noni is only a little happy with this new creature |
![]() |
| Big brother continues his inspection |
![]() |
| My best friend (and the artist behind all of these photos), Callie |
I am amazed at how different my two birth stories are. People have asked if it was easier this time. My response is really that it was just much different. Josiah's labor was quicker and much more intense. The pushing wasn't as intense, but I had 30 minutes to let my body accommodate his passing instead one of big push. Adele's labor was gradual and not as intense, but the intensity of that very brief moment of pushing far surpassed anything I had felt before. I'm so thankful for the smooth, healthy deliveries that I have had the privilege of experiencing. I am also incredibly thankful for all of the people that have surrounded me at such pivotal moments in my life--the ones where "pain bows to joy and the world makes way for one more." (Peggy Vincent)





















2 comments:
Adele was birthed with confidence, good humor, joy, and no nonsense beauty. I hope, and pray, and trust that she'll carry this with her her whole life.
What an honor to be with you and your beautiful family... you are a rare and wonderful mother.
Callie, thank you for sharing your story! My 2 favorite parts were when Josiah asked you for a drink (and the photo captured you pointing at Daddy, I'm guessing : ) and your response to you loving husband's sympathy moan. You are a gifted writer, and I know Adele will cherish the documentation of her birth story. Congrats to your family!
Post a Comment