Friday, July 31, 2009

Scooter Love

So perhaps my previous list of "Favorite Things" was skewed.  Or perhaps I should just create a list with the modified settings of "All Time Favorite Things."  That would include the pool, Chickfila...and number one: the scooter.

I'm not quite sure what is so fascinating about our Vespa, but Josiah is 100%, head over heels enamored by it.  At some point Jonathan let Josiah stand on it and ride it around the yard with him.  From that point on, every time we go in the backyard Josiah immediately runs to the shed and begs unmercifully to enter the Home of the Vespa.  I usually try to distract him with the joys of the backyard, but it only lasts for a time.  Then, he is back to the shed begging to lay eyes on the scooter.  When I let him inside he climbs aboard, acts like he is driving, tries on his dad's helmet, and begs for a ride.  On a very lucky day, Jonathan complies and both don their respective helmets and tour around the backyard.  Josiah has been known to wear his helmet around the house, in the car, and even on a stroller ride--all as a badge of commitment to the scooter.

Last week I changed our desktop background to one of the photos from our recent photo shoot.  It is a picture with the scooter, and since then Josiah has been relentless about getting up to look at the computer.  He knows that the computer chair is no man's land and leads to time out (which usually is enough of a threat), but these days he is a rebel with a cause.  He is willing to take any consequence for the opportunity to oogle over the picture of the scooter.  Today I printed out a picture of the scooter and put it in a plastic sheath for him, hoping it would keep him away from the computer.  He carried the photo around, looking at it affectionately while declaring, "goo-ger!"

In a oddly prophetic way, we hung 3 scooter pictures over Josiah's crib when he was 5 months old.  Our friend Scott painted them for us.  Until a week ago, I don't think he even noticed them.  Then, I had the pleasure of pointing them out.  Since that day I have tucked him into bed more than once with him pointing up at them and dreamily declaring, "goo-ger."

Today I decided the obsession is borderline unhealthy.  All the child thinks about is the scooter.  I don't quite know what to do about it but embrace it.  One of the best pieces of wisdom I have received recently regarding the rearing of toddlers came from a humorous book I am reading by Vicky Iovine.  To paraphrase her, "Just because toddlers can speak doesn't mean they can be reasoned with."  That is 100% truth.  So...we redirect, we distract, and...we embrace the scooter love.   And we prepare to purchase a toy version for Christmas.



No comments: