Sunday, July 5, 2009

Amen!

Some things just come innately to boys...like the love for collecting rocks or making car sounds, but of which Josiah does on a daily basis. He loves to carry rocks. Today we went on a walk and he insisted that I pick up a rock for him that he could hold smugly for the rest of the stroller ride. This fascination with rocks is so bizarre--yet clearly the human nature of little boys. That being said, it makes me smile every time he totes one around.

Josiah's vocabulary seems as if it is now growing exponentially. I think he is really turning a corner with his language skills. My favorite word he says is "turtle." Today I was thinking about how soon he is going to be jabbering up a storm. The time is so fleeting! Along the lines of language skills...Josiah has learned how to pray before meals. Today we were putting lunch on the table and Josiah was already poised in his seat, ready to eat. I looked over to see him with his hands clasped, head bowed, and eyes closed. He was mumbling some jibberish and then looked up and said, "Maymem!" (translation: Amen!) I couldn't believe it. It is SOOO cute. Up until now he has echoed "amen" after everyone else, but this time he was initiating his own prayers.

Less spiritual but exciting nonetheless, he also learned to put on his own shoes today! I watched as he successfully put his own Crocs on three different times. Wouldn't you know that he doesn't sit down to put them on? He does exactly what I do. He turns the shoe into the correct position with his toes and then lifts one foot at a time and slides his feet in. Brilliant. All we could do was laugh that he has such good coordination. I never knew it could be so joyous to watch a child learn to accomplish such simple tasks, but it has not ceased to fill us with wonder. Parenting is truly a privilege.

No comments: