Sunday, February 21, 2010

The moving circus...in more ways than one.

Let me start with a simple statement that has nothing to do with the rest of the blog:

You know you have hit the toddler trenches when your child doesn't like your response to something so he bursts into tears and wails, "no Mama. Daddy come back!" Dang. They know how to hit where it hurts from such a young age. Too bad for him Dad would have said the same thing. Now, onto happier thoughts...

What a weekend we have had! Jonathan and I have been mentally preparing to put our house on the market this spring. We set this weekend as the "make it ready" weekend. The tasks ahead seemed so daunting, but we dove in full force on Thursday. Sometime mid-Friday Jonathan said, "I have a crazy idea. Let's have an open house tomorrow!" Being less than 50% done with our list, it was a crazy idea. Since we seem to thrive on such situations, we kicked it into high gear and worked late into the evening. We worked feverishly all morning Saturday, taking a few key furniture pieces and storage items to my parents house so ours could look show-friendly. After 48 hours we had repainted our patio and front porch, groomed the yard, cleared the closets, retouched the walls, scrubbed the baseboards, caulked the cracks, replaced our photos with generic ones, and cleaned any and all food smudges and crumbs from the floors, tables, and walls.

We had our open house. One agent came. We had another today. One set of neighbors came. We aren't bitter. Seriously. All of the work is done. Now the problem is I have found myself hoping this season of limbo passes quickly, because maintaining a show ready house with a two year old is highly consuming (and nearly impossible). Seriously, I was asking the Lord for some mercy. I don't know I can hold out 6 months (okay, 6 weeks) trying to dodge all forms of toddler sabotage on the pretty, show friendly home.

On Saturday night we packed up our accomplished and tired family and headed to the circus! It was Josiah's first circus, and he loved it. His favorite acts were the elephants and the acrobats on swings. In fact, at one point he burst into tears. I was trying to figure out what was wrong, so I asked. He simply stated, "swings go bye-bye." I realized he was watching the stagemen discretely roll the swings back through the doors. The elephants were really impressive---all 11 of them. I figured the circus would have 3 elephants or so. Apparently, I'm behind the times. Go big or go home. Or both, if you can actually make it there pulling 11 full sized elephants behind you. We of course willingly let ourselves get ripped off so Josiah could have the full concession experience while at the circus. I take that back...we left off the $12 bag of cotton candy. Don't tell him! Here are some pictures from our good time:






No comments: