Sunday, August 8, 2010

An assortment of good things.

My intention in this post is to highlight some of my favorite Josiah happenings of the past two weeks. Bear with me, because while they are all charming they are not all connected.

Last week I talked about Josiah's new found love for Cinnamon Toast Crunch and milk. This week we went to the store and he said, "Mommy, I want to try THOSE again!" as he pointed to the Lucky Charms. They were half off, and while I may be concerned about my child's morning sugar intake...I agreed. When we got home he begged for some, but it was near dinner time and he had to wait until the morning. He was so excited in the morning to have a bowl of Lucky Charms that I think it motivated him to wake up earlier. I poured a bowl with milk and a spoon (important qualifiers in his book). He ate most of them, but I noticed that the marshmallows disappeared first. It must be an innate thing to eat the marshmallows first and leave the crummy cereal behind. He ate Lucky Charms most of the week, but he (thought) he learned their name after our first breakfast. Now instead of "those" he kindly states, "Mommy, I want some Yucky Charms." I laugh every time.
This is actually a photo I took after he ate some cherries. He liked them. Can you tell?

We were driving in the car the other day and trying to get Josiah to say "rescue" properly. I repeated it for him and said, "Can you say that, Josiah?" His reply was, "No, Mommy, I too young to say that." He told me the same thing when I instructed him to remake his own block train station, "No Mommy, I too young to do that." I'm not sure where he got that excuse, but it provides a good giggle.

Josiah calls a piano a "compano." It doesn't matter that we repeat the word for him. He is still convinced it is a compano.

The other day Josiah came into our room around 6:30am with some items from his bed. When we woke up in the morning I was cracking up as I made the bed and found all of our additions. I took this picture:
The collection included two blankets, a pillow, and three stuffed animals. It left us asking the question, "Did he have to make multiple trips??"

I previously worked a little to help Josiah identify his letters, but when he didn't show much interest I decided it was probably still a little too early for him. That is, until the other day he stopped at a sign and started correctly citing each of the letters. I was shocked to see just how many of the letters he could recognize. I think I own a big thanks to "Super Why," one of his favorite PBS shows that focuses on letters and word formation. I'm glad he likes the educational show!

This last weekend we went to North Georgia for Jonathan's cousin's wedding. Josiah's cousin John David was there, and they are only 6 weeks apart in age. This visit more than ever we were able to see what good buddies they are going to be. They had a blast for the 24 hours they got to play together. Josiah was excited to attend the wedding and told me, "Mama, I need my tie." He was very excited to wear his tie.



We had a great time with all of the cousins. It's always a treat to have a reason to get together more than at Christmas.


Cousin Adam winning the boys' affections with a wheelbarrow ride

Josiah shooting the breeze with Aunt Mary and cousin Camille

Josiah practicing for his upcoming new role as big brother

Some of the lady cousins at the wedding

Adam securing the affections.

Josiah flat out refusing to take a reasonable photo with Nana.
Just hanging out...??


Today I received a phone call from Josiah's preschool teacher. We will go for a meeting on the 26th to see Josiah's classroom and then he will start on the 31st. I am very excited for him, and perhaps a little bit sad to realize that my child is old enough to go to class! He will only be going two days a week for 3 hours a day. I don't know what it will be like to have a quiet house for efficient chores or a peaceful shopping experience. I do secretly think it will cease to be productive and morph into Mommy naptime with baby once our new baby arrives. I am not ashamed in the least to admit it as a possibility.

Josiah is spending the last days of his summer working on his swing.

No comments: