Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Seattle on my mind.

Seattle. How long ago did I visit you? 6 weeks? Wow. Time has flied in the midst of all of our moving, unpacking, settling, and projects. I'm not even sure I remember what we did when we visited, but I will attempt to tell others about you.

Seattle was shockingly clear the main day we spent there. It was so clear, that I had to send photo text messages to prove it. We ventured back from Vancouver, admiring the beautiful mountain ranges along the way. We kept wondering if the largest ones were Mt. Rainer. We stopped at the infamous Pike Place Market to explore and grab lunch. It was insanely busy, as it was a Sunday and the weather was so nice once a year. We explored the market and then stopped for a Russian pastry. We sat at the edge of the park, listening to a homeless man play a bucket-and-string bass, and that is when we saw it. Ohh. THAT was Rainier. Yeah, no mistaking it. The enormous mountain exuding awe and wonder on the skyline is one of a kind.

We headed to the ferry dock and took a ferry across the bay simply for the opportunity to see the whole city and enjoy the bay. It was very windy, and we used our trip to grab some pictures of the city and Mt. Rainier, which had quickly become the most captivating feature of Seattle to me.

After our ferry trip we found our hotel and stopped by for a break before heading out to the Space Needle at sunset. The Space Needle was fun, especially since the day was so clear.

(view from the top of the Needle)
We hung out and watched the sun head west, then we drove over to Gasworks park for a look at the city from a different angle.
We went to the Fremont Troll (yes, a huge sculpture under a bridge with a real Volkswagen car in its grasp. Seattle you are so artsy.)
Finally, we went to eat dinner. We accidentally stumbled across a very tasty Thai restaurant, and then we headed to the Five Spot diner for some dessert. We ate an oversized cookie with ice cream, apparently their specialty, before returning to our hotel for some much needed sleep.

We woke up the next morning and I sighed in relief when I realized I was going to get to see the Seattle everyone spoke of. It was cloudy and drizzling as we drove to the airport to head home. It was a fantastic trip, and I kept marveling over the fact that we were given the gift of beautiful weather while we visited two really great cities.

No comments: