4 weeks have passed since Evangeline joined our home and I thought I would write a blog about what she is like now that she has settled in and gotten comfortable. It's a little convoluted by the fact that she is a growing baby who is not only becoming secure in our love but also learning and developing new skills. So, this is what she is doing these days...
Physically...I think I am bulking her up nice and juicy. At least, that's what all the bystanders are telling me. She has at least 2 chins now:) Her little rolls are so cute, and her little frog belly makes my heart happy. Her hair is growing quickly, but it's not quite long enough for me to pull into a style yet. She has some spots that are growing faster than others, so her hairline is balding 50's man-esque. The curls are getting tighter, and it is especially thick right on top. Soon enough I will get to try my hand at those half braids and twists!
Evangeline is becoming more and more mobile each day. I would consider her an adept crawler at this point, as she very rapidly moving to her point of interest. However, if we are nearby she doesn't have an interest in explorations away from us. She smiles so smug as she scoots to reach us, though. She actually gets her bottom up in the air pretty well. She only crawls when there is something she wants. Her activity of choice is pulling up on things! She smiles to tell us she is so proud of herself. Last night she learned how to extend her standing into actually climbing on TOP of whatever she pulled up on. That is skill.
Emotionally, well, she seemed to do quite well with that from the start! She loves to be cuddled to sleep and tries to protest when we lay her in her crib. A couple of early mornings she hasn't been able to settle down after discovering she has knocked her pacifier out of the crib and cannot retrieve it. I have pulled her in bed with me and she snuggles right down, wanting to be as close to my face and my skin as possible. She has started to get a little "stranger anxiety," and whines to be given back to our arms asap. I think that is more because she is at the age in which this is developmentally expected. She plays well on the floor, especially if her brother is around to entertain her. She doesn't find it as necessary to be in our arms always, and I assume that is because she has become more secure in her surroundings.
Personality-wise, she is still an incredibly laid-back baby. If she is fussy, I know it is due to a pending nap time or hunger. She is perfectly content to go along with whatever we are doing. Strangers in public often comment, "is she always this quiet?" When we are out, she is usually quiet as a mouse, just observing everything going on around her. When we are home she babbles away and practices "da-da" the most often. She squeals in delight when she gets excited, and her belly laugh is deep and hilarious. Her brother can elicit smiles better than anyone else, and he has a few phrases he has learned really prompt her into giggles quickly. He is very proud of his abilities.
The two of them together melt my heart. Josiah has taken ownership of his role as big brother. The other night he asked to fall asleep in my bed. I agreed, but then he asked, "Well who is going to sleep in my bed?" When I told him no one he said, "but Evangeline will be all alone in there!" I affirmed his observation, and he quickly jumped down and said, "Nevermind, I'm going to sleep in my bed." He is eager to help if needed, such as when he asked for breakfast and she was mid-bottle. He volunteered to feed her while I prepared his breakfast, and that's exactly what we did. He was proud of his ability to care for her, and I was proud of his problem-solving skills. Some mornings I will bring her in my bed to cuddle before we start our day. Josiah has been known to throw an arm around her and snuggle down for a few minutes. He is such a sweet brother, and she adores him just like she did on Day #1.
1 comment:
I love getting a peek into your world! Good luck at the braiding- I could never get a handle on it with calvin's hair, it was the parting I couldn't get perfect!
Post a Comment