Somehow Josiah squeezed 3 special days out of his birthday this year. Day #1 was last week when we had our slumber party. Day #2 was his actual birthday, and that's what this post is about. We started out the day by joining Josiah and his preschool class on a field trip across the street to the recreation center. We were on a treasure hunt for fall things, and the rec center is home of pecan, black walnut, chesnut, and oak trees. It was a lot of fun to discover all of the nuts and fallen leaves. After our adventure we returned to his classroom for a birthday celebration with Superman cupcakes.
After school we went to Chickfila because, well, what else would our family do for a birthday? Actually, we let Josiah choose his afternoon, but he is a creature of habit and wanted to do everything we have done in years past. Hence, the next stop was Monkey Joes. He wanted to play the games more than jump, which made me realize perhaps Chucky Cheese would have been a more appropriate choice for his desires. Oh well. He was excited for the Monkey to appear and actually wanted to hang out with him. Quite a change from years past.
On our drive to Monkey Joes I was telling Jonathan how bittersweet the day was to me. It's so hard to believe my baby boy is on his way to adulthood so fast. 4 today, 18 tomorrow. I can already see it. Anyway, Josiah asked me what I was talking about. I told him, "Mommy is so happy you are 4 years old, but sometimes I get sad because you are getting big so fast and I want you to be my little boy forever." Josiah's response was to throw his arms out to the side and say, "Mom, I'm still little. Just look at me!" He said it like he was shocked how unobservant I could be, yet he was trying to console me and offer me so much hope.
After Monkey Joes we journeyed home where we waited on Uncle Toph to arrive. We went to the pet store (excuse me, "puppet store" as Josiah likes to call it) because Josiah wanted to look at all of the animals. At first he told me he wanted to get a new fish (as Dorothy bit the dust two days before after a slightly too hearty feeding by her small owner). What I discovered was he thought he would convince me to purchase something beside a fish. Cue the disappointment music. He did get a choice between a goldfish and a beta, and he elected for another goldfish. At first I was disappointed, then I realized he was asking for the 29 cent fish instead of the $8 one. What was I thinking? Goldfish are great! We asked him what he wanted to name his fish and he said, "Josiah. I want him to have my name, too, and then we can be brothers." Uhhh...education moment. He now understands that sharing his name doesn't define his brotherhood with his fish, but as far as I am aware the name still stands. We returned home and Josiah (the boy) wanted to play baseball with his Uncle Toph, as it is one of his favorite things to do.
Watch this video to see him crush it.
This definitely is not in the normal skill set of a 4 year old.
We asked him what he wanted to eat for dinner and he chose sushi. I tried to convince him to choose something else, so he decided he wanted to eat wings at home. We ordered wings and watched Cars 2. Then, Josiah had a piece of "val-il-a" cheesecake. I guess original tastes like vanilla to him.
Josiah had a blast and it was a very special day.
No comments:
Post a Comment