Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Napping in a field of flowers.

Today the morning nap officially ceased to exist. I knew that this was coming. All of the toddler literature says that babies drop their morning nap somewhere between 12 and 18 months, but at 18+ months, I was pleasantly ignoring that information. If he was still willing to take a nap, he certainly was going to do so. Unfortunately...today that came to an end. Indeed, my sweet boy stayed up until 1pm and then took a nap. Now, the problem is that when babies drop their morning nap they are supposed to extend their afternoon nap into mega nap...aka...two to three hours. Unfortunately, Josiah's body is wired to wake up after, at max, one hour and 15 minutes. It leaves me with two options...I can sit and hold him (and attempt to convince him that na-na is not a choice) or I can tolerate a temperamental toddler for the rest of the day. Today I elected for the latter. I'm still trying to strategize how to teach his little body to extend that naptime.

This afternoon I made chicken nuggets and cut up grapes for lunch. I gave Josiah a little ketchup with his chicken nuggets, which he greatly appreciated. Of course he loves ketchup...so much that at one point he dipped a grape in it. I cringed and laughed, but he seemed to find it quite a benign risk.

This morning I felt like doing nothing...then this afternoon I planted 72 flowers. Seriously...I counted. I got the majority done during Josiah's one hour and fifteen minute nap, then we pushed through all but the 12 I have remaining before he started his "I didn't sleep enough" meltdown. 72 is a good number for one day I think. Now the little person is wanting to participate in computer time, meaning it is coming to a close!

No comments: