Saturday, June 27, 2009

blink your eyes...

There is so much that I want to write that it is slightly overwhelming.  I've been meaning to jot my thoughts down to aid myself in this process, but I didn't, therefore it may take me a few days to remember all of the things I wanted to say (and a few more days to actually pen them).  First I must mention that I as I am writing, I am also uploading long overdue videos.  There will be too many for the video bar when it is all said and done, so if you want to see them all you will have to scroll back on YouTube.  That being said...

Josiah has become such a big boy.  He understands just about everything we say, which is a huge help.  He can help himself with a little guidance.  This week he added several words to his vocabulary, including "yes," "eyes," "turtle," and "ice."  I was relieved to know that finally we have an alternative response option for questions.  Everything is pretty much "no."  I would think that it is just the age where everything is "no," but unfortunately for me, he does in fact tell us yes when he agrees.  It just isn't as often as I would like.  Independence...I can't imagine where he would have gotten that from.

This is certainly an age of discovering independence.  Early in the week he opened the pantry and pulled the cheese crackers down himself.  When I gave him a small bowl with a few crackers he was extremely grateful...until they ran out.  He came up to me crying saying, "ca-cuh! ca-cuh!" (translation: cracker, cracker!)  I told him that the crackers were all gone, at which point he burst into tears.  A few minutes later I was picking up around the living room and rounded the corner to find that he had taken it upon himself to relocate the cracker box, open it, and proceed to dig out some more crackers.  Now the crackers are stashed farther back in the pantry.

A few days later I stood and watched as Josiah pushed a chair across the kitchen.  I thought he was heading for the pantry, but he was in fact headed for the ice maker on the door of the freezer.  When I looked at him and said, "WHAT are you doing, mister?!"  he looked back at me, grinned mischievously while shrugging his shoulders and simply said, "ice?"  It was as if he thought if he charmed me with a new word I would forget that he was clearly overstepping his boundaries.  It didn't work, but I was proud of his new word!  The same day he did this:

Then, he dangled from the freeze door only while begging for a "teet." (translation: treat).  That would also translate as a popsicle.

This is also a season of repetition.  I know that most young children love predictability...of a schedule, of toys, and especially of books.  Therefore, I am not surprised that Josiah wants to read the same books over and over.  I am even grateful that the ones he wants to read over and over are great books.  However,  I am the kind of person that doesn't like to watch movies twice because I already know what happens, so reading the same book 5 times a day is slightly draining to me.  At bedtime tonight he picked up his favorite book of the week, the one we have read multiple times in the last 24 hours, and I begged for mercy.  I suggested we read the "fish" book instead, and luckily for me, he thought it was a great suggestion.  I actually know the books so well that when I bought a board book copy for a friend and flipped through it, I could quote the actual lines that the publishers had to leave out due to space constraints.  I'm sure most mothers have a library of quotable children's books tucked away in their heads.

If Josiah can get his hands on our camera, his favorite thing to do is walk around and hold the camera up toward us and tell us, "cheese!" as if he is taking our picture.  It is hilarious, and it also means that he has rediscovered a love for hamming it up for the camera.  See examples below:


Last night we returned from a wedding that Jonathan had provided a drum set for.  Jonathan decided he was going to set up the whole kit in Josiah's room while he slept so it would be a surprise when he woke up in the morning.  Lucky for me, Josiah woke up promptly at 6:15am.  When I entered his room he was hanging over the edge of his crib and pointing at the drum set saying, "that, that!"  He joyfully started playing the drums not long after that.  There should be a video up of it soon.

Today we bought Josiah his first set of wheels.  It was certainly the cheapest car we'll have to purchase for him.  We went to a garage sale this morning where I couldn't resist purchasing a Little Tikes car.  While we were milling around he hopped right into it, and I remember how much I loved my same car...twenty something years ago.  It was very well loved by its previous owner...so we paid 5 dollars for it and this afternoon we cleaned it up so he could ride in polished wheels.  It is so sweet, and he loves it!

After playing with the car, Josiah discovered the joy of spraying the hose.  Eventually, it turned into the joy of spraying the hose on his own head.  It was so funny to watch him play.  I got a little bit on video, so look for that, too!

This is the best collection I can muster at this point.  If there is more, I will try to be prompt at writing it out.

No comments: