Thursday, May 27, 2010

a really good day.

Today was one of those days you wish you could savor forever...one that I wish I could bottle up and revisit at will. It was the perfect balance of productivity and relaxation. We ran some errands, went to music class, cleaned up a little, took a nap, and went on a bike ride. Pause: Yes, I did say "we." Jonathan has been on to me for quite some time for my lack of physical activity. I argue that I look great and between caring for patients and chasing a two year old, I am getting quite a fair share of activity. It just isn't organized. I don't think he disagrees, but he really wanted me to get into cycling, as it has become one of his favorite pastimes. I was hesitant to join the club, as I kind of enjoy some time to myself when the boys go out for a ride. This week everything came to a head when Jonathan finally found a bike to purchase for me, and he did.

We went for our first ride today. I guess it is the boys' "short" ride. I thought it was just fine for my first ride. I think it's around 6 miles in length. We looped around the town, stopping at Josiah's favorite spot to watch the trains pass. On our way home we stopped so Josiah could shoot some hoops and play at a neighborhood park. It was really neat to get to see the places they visit almost every day. As we came back through our little village area we ran into a family we met in Josiah's music class. We hopped off our bikes and sat and talked for a while before journeying home. I was saying how much fun I had; Jonathan was rolling his eyes and calling me unbelievable. This is a fairly common dynamic of our marriage. Husband has idea; wife is skeptical. Husband is proven right, wife acts as if it was always a good idea. In case you didn't catch it, the fault there isn't with my husband! I reminded Jonathan that our new "family" activity will have to take a hiatus once the baby arrives, but then I also pointed out the advantage of being able to enjoy it right up until the day our baby comes home, as no big belly will deter me.

We came home and Jonathan grilled some onions and chicken wings while I sauteed potatoes with rosemary I picked out of my garden. I moved onto a fresh fruit salad with yummy choices from the farmer's market, and I thought to myself, "all is right in the world." It isn't, but my heart was so quiet with peace and the joy that spending time with the boys brings to me, it seemed so. I daydreamed of having our sweet new baby around and realized relishing moments in the present, especially ones like these, is the only thing that will get me through the wait until our new baby arrives. We capped our day with a trip to our favorite frozen yogurt store. I must say it again; today was a really good day.

No comments: