This was Josiah's first trip on MARTA (en route to the airport). He was quite used to the train system by the end of our journey. He felt like quite a big boy. He waved to all of the people on the Metro in New York, and we developed a lot of sympathy for New York moms that travel in and out of the subway and buses. It would be really hard to raise a baby in NYC!
On our first full day in New York, we started our day out in Battery Park, the southern most point of the island of Manhattan. It was really windy and quite cool that morning.
This is Josiah and me at the Hudson River. In the far background you can see the Statue of Liberty. We were going to ride the Staten Island ferry to get a closer view, but it was so cold out that we didn't think we could stand it. Luckily, Jonathan and I did all of the super touristy things last time we were there and didn't feel the same pressure to do those things this time.
This was our self portrait of the buildings on the edge of Battery park. We walked from Battery Park up to the World Trade Center site to see what kind of progress they had made since we were last there. It was difficult to see anything, as they had it all blocked off for construction. We walked past Trinity Church (see below) on our way to Canal Street.
We went to Canal Street to look for some good deals. Jonathan got some sunglasses and I got a hat (as pictured). I was on a mission for a yellow wallet, but apparently Versace didn't carry a yellow wallet in their last collection because none of the knock-off vendors were selling one. We then walked into the heart of Chinatown and cruised around. We took on the strategy of snacking all day so we could experience as much food as possible. We found eggrolls in Chinatown to eat, then we headed over to Little Italy for some gelato.
Here we are in Chinatown.
We got gelato at Ferrara's Italian Bakery in Little Italy. Jonathan got strawberry and Josiah and I got mango. Mmm! I also got a mini cannoli, because how could I not? It isn't pictured though. From Little Italy we headed north to Soho and Nolita to visit the shop of one of Jonathan's favorite designers. We bought a clock for Josiah's room and hopped back on the subway to go to Time Square.
In Time Square we went to Toysrus. Josiah and I took a picture with the Lego Statue of Liberty, but he was intrigued by the giant dinosaur across the store.
This was him impersonating the dinosaur growling.
We took him on the Toysrus ferris wheel, and it just so happened to be Josiah's first amusement park ride. He wasn't super impressed, but I guess it was simple for such a daring young man. We browsed the toys and Josiah found the life sized stuffed dogs. Here he is giving one a hug:
As cute as it was...Browsing but no buying:)
It was quite a long day, as you can see.
The next day we started out in the south side of Central Park. Here is Josiah chasing some pigeons:
The boys in a couple of classic Central Park pictures.
We headed over to FAO Schwartz to browse the candy aisle and play on the giant piano. Josiah LOVED the giant piano. He could have played on it for hours. Once again, we browsed instead of bought, as the price tag would have been $250,000.
We then headed over to the Central Park zoo. Josiah was ready for a nap and didn't fully appreciate the zoo like we hoped he would. During the sea lion show he pointed out the helicopter flying overhead instead. He was pretty tired and ended up falling asleep before we made it into the separate children's zoo. I, however, LOVED seeing the polar bears. I don't think that I have ever seen polar bears, but it could be my memory failing me. Regardless, it was awesome. It was just starting to get hot as we arrived and the male polar bear decided to go for a swim. I felt five years old as I watched with awe as he swam. It was definitely the highlight of the zoo.
Here is Mr. Polar Bear swimming around.
After the zoo we grabbed a burger and shake at a place called Pop Burger and took them back into the park for a picnic in Central Park. It was a lot of fun to sit by the lake and listen to someone play the saxophone in the distance. A couple of pictures from that:
Josiah really liked the strawberry shake. Can you tell?
Immediately following our picnic we headed to Gray's Papaya, one of Jonathan's favorite joints in the city. We split the burger and shake with the direct intention of the other half of our lunch coming from Grays, incase you were about to judge. Gray's Papaya serves two hot dogs and a large glass of fresh juice for $4.50, and it is good. I would suggest it.
During the afternoon Jonathan and Neil did a Goodfight photo shoot at various locations around the city. Josiah and I tagged along. We were changing locations and in need of a snack as we approached a McDonalds. I'm not really sure how this fits in with the "food tour of New York" theme, except that it is an American icon. We stopped in for drinks and I also opted for apple pies. Crucial mistake, I would come to find out. That night we headed to dinner with Neil and Jen, and we went to Tribeca for some of New York's best pizza. We ate a slice of really great pizza and then went two blocks down to Neil and Jen's favorite tapas restaurant. It was a food tour of New York, people. We ate conservatively at the tapas restaurant that was absolutely incredible. Then we scooted around the corner to a bakery for some NY style cheesecake. We chose 3 pieces and headed back to their apartment. By that time my stomach was churning, but I figured it was because my stomach was anti-"food tour of New York." I ate a few bites of cheesecake but didn't really enjoy it as I was feeling so sick to my stomach. At 2:30am I awoke with a start and vomit in my mouth. Grrooossssssssss, I know. I clamored to the bathroom where I proceeded to vomit the entire tour of New York. It was the most unpleasant feeling I have had in quite a while. I slept poorly and ran a fever all night. When we woke up in the morning I was still running a fever, so I stayed in bed while everyone went out for breakfast. We had to travel home that day, including a layover in Detroit, MI. Neil and Jen were AMAZING beyond AMAZING in that they accompanied us up the subway until we got on our final bus for the airport. There is no way that I could have helped carry all of our stuff that far. I was so weak and feverish. We flew to Detroit and I took a second round of extra strength Tylenol to try to break my fever for the second time. By the time we reached Atlanta my fever had broken, but I was tired and still cursing all things "food." I told Jonathan I was having flashbacks of early pregnancy, as all food looked disgusting most of the day. I also told him it was reminding me how unappealing new pregnancy was, much to his pleasure. By the time we got home at 11:15pm we were exhausted, but I was able to stomach some dinner before bed. When I woke up this morning I was feeling great again and even ate a sprinkle doughnut to celebrate my birthday (at least that is how I justified it THIS week). When we retraced everything, the only food item that only I ate was the apple pies, so we have cast the blame (and dark shame) on them. It is the only thing that makes sense, especially with the time frame on when I ate them. I don't think I will walk the apple pie road again.
Overall we had a fabulous trip to NYC and can't wait to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment