Saturday night I threw a pizza party for Josiah and myself. I suppose "party" is a little extreme in consideration of the fact it was just the two of us. Anyway, we got a $5 Little Caesars pizza and I laughed as Josiah quickly blew through his first piece. As I cut up his second piece I told him it was a good thing his father wasn't home because he certainly wouldn't allow me to gorge Josiah out on pizza. I suppose this is where "party" becomes appropriate, because he got a second piece. He was about half way through the piece when all of the sudden he started shrieking and grabbing at his tongue. I inspected his mouth and could only conclude that he somehow burnt it, so I offered him his water cup and encouraged him to drink. He did, but it obviously didn't help. Convinced his mouth was burned, I pulled out some grapes to help him flush his mouth out. He ate a handful, then decided he was done. He was still grabbing at his tongue intermittently and spitting "raspberries." I let him down so we could go take a bath, and as I did I grabbed his leftover cubes of pizza. I quickly realized that one of the cubes was spicy, as if there was a large amount of red pepper in the sauce that didn't get mixed up well. Poor boy. My mouth was stinging a little bit, too. I felt a little bad but knew that it was simply a fluke. When I told Jonathan the story later that night he responded with, "Well, if you hadn't given him the second piece then it wouldn't have happened." With this I cannot disagree, but it certainly wouldn't have constituted a party without two pieces.
The shoe battle continues. I have purchased (and returned) more shoes, as Josiah is insistent that only the Converse will do. I have searched long and hard for an alternative pair of shoes, and we may have made new ground today. I put a pair of sneakers on him at the store today and he wore them without any protest. They WERE pretty cool. Unfortunately they only had a size 5, which fits him REALLY well right now, and since they were a little pricey I was going to purchase the 6 (sold out) so they will last through the summer. I suppose it gives me time to review them with the coolness meter (aka, Dad) online.
Josiah is super into reading books right now. He will bring them to me and as he approaches he turns around, knowing that I turn him around to sit in my lap. It is pretty cute. He is pretty limited in his selections (he seems to like the same three), but since "Go, Dog, Go!" got left in the car the last couple of days he has branched out and actually includes MY favorite in the rotation. The refrain in the book is "But Mama, but Mama, what if I were..." so Josiah picks up the book and says, "Mama, Mama! Mama, Mama!" in a really high pitched voice. I guess I raise my pitch when I say that part. Actually, I know I do. It is very cute.
This week the laundry room went under lockdown. Jonathan had to pull out the chisel and carve the hole for the lock in the door frame. It is a grand pain to have to pull down the key every time I want to put something in the room, but it is certainly much safer than Josiah presenting me with the Shout bottle. Such is life for now. We are about to have to lockdown all of our kitchen drawers, as he is now tall enough to reach those as well. He doesn't need the drawer insert to access our desk drawer anymore, which means we had to promptly relocate our scissors. I am still trying to figure out where to store everything else in the drawer, as it all truly belongs in the office.
Josiah graced our walls will the first scuff marks yesterday. He used the wall as a racetrack for one of his little cars. Very cute...until I saw the marks. Today he grabbed a pen from the desk and was walking around dragging it across various surfaces (a cardboard box, the desk, etc). I watched him just to see what would happen. I became a little unnerved as he combed the hallway wall today with a toothed comb. I understand that I have now joined the "at risk" population of home destruction by a toddler. All writing utensils under lock and key, please.
I think that pretty much summarizes where we are in life right now. I am sure there is some other story I meant to share but cannot think of at the moment, so if I do...I will try to discipline myself to write it.
No comments:
Post a Comment