Saturday, March 26, 2011

going the distance...a sequel.

Some of you faithful blog followers may remember when my best friend ran a half marathon a year and a half ago. It was amazing. If you want to know more about it, look no further than here. Anyway, since then she got pregnant, had a baby the all-natural way, moved across the country 1 week after giving birth, and in all of her FREE time, she decided she was up for another run. Yes, this woman is incredible. And no, 13.1 would not do this time. The incredible woman I call best friend ran a marathon last Sunday. Yes, folks, 6 months after bearing child, she ran--in its entirety--a full marathon. This is a feat that I still can't believe is possible, but we were at the sidelines to cheer her on and watch it happen. Josiah and I, along with her mom caught up with her at several points during the race before heading downtown to the finish line.

Here she is at the 11 mile marker, just after the steepest elevation change during the race. That's a bag of pretzels her mom passed to her as she ran by. It's hard to believe a half marathon would be almost done, since she still looked amazing.
This is at 14.5 miles. This is the point where I asked her how she was doing and she replied, "it's easier than childbirth, but it takes a lot longer!" I cracked up and reminded her that not everyone had such fortunate labors. It was good to hear her spirits were still up, and no I did not believe her. I will do natural labor over again 15 more times before you will catch me running a marathon. And honestly...if this body bears 15 more children, the only marathon you'll catch me running is the one around my house.
This is at 17.3 miles. Looking a little more fatigued, but really? only a little fatigued after 17 miles?
Here she is as she comes down the final runway to the finish line:
She was smiling and I was fighting tears. Who knew it could be such an emotional thing to watch someone you love accomplish a near impossible feat?

And finally, here she is, a speck in the photo...crossing the finish line...running the whole way. Her group started 10 minutes after the race did, so her official time was actually 4:48.10. Amazing.
Finally, a few shots with a very tired, very accomplished mommy.

I am SO proud of you, Callie!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Maybe it's in being named Callie that greatness occurs ... or maybe it's just Callies that love Jesus and people well ... either way ... thankful to be in the presence of such greatness!

callie said...

You are so great. Thanks so much for all you did along the run. You had a marathon day yourself with work that night!