It seems as if some weeks life is very much the same and then others I look at this little person and wonder, "when did you grow up?" This week I have had my handful of surprises.
It all started when Josiah opted for the spicy curry dish I made last week rather than the vegetables I pulled to the side for him. We ate sushi for dinner Saturday night, as a second choice to his request for Thai food. When my girlfriend asked where we would like to meet for lunch on Wednesday, Josiah very simply replied, "Thai." We ate Thai food, with him gobbling down the hot and sour soup prior to his noodle dish of choice. On Friday, we went to an authentic Mexican restaurant with handmade tacos filled with delicious meats, onions, and plenty of cilantro. Josiah didn't bat an eye at the choice...instead he grabbed a lime, squeezed it on top, and gobbled down a chicken taco followed by an "Al Pastor" (pork and steak). When I contemplated our week of dining, I realized what a mature palate the child has. He would much rather eat these foods with rich flavors than some deep fried chicken nuggets or a grilled cheese. The funny thing is, he won't eat just anything. It just so happens the things he will eat are these. I am so grateful.
On our car ride to the Mexican restaurant, Josiah asked to see my phone. He has started to enjoy playing games on it. I typically choose the game for him and let him play. Well, what I discovered was he was switching between games at will. Then, we heard sound and asked what he was doing. He very non-chalantly said, "Oh, I'm just watching videos, Mom." I thought to myself, "Do I even have videos on my phone?" Apparently, I have on occasion taken videos via my phone, and apparently, Josiah had no problem figuring out where to find them or how to play them. If I wasn't already ready to fall out of my seat, a few minutes passed and we heard him say, "Hey PawPaw, I was just calling to tell you I had a good time today. Leave me a message and I'll call you back. I love you." Sure enough, the child had taken it upon himself to call PawPaw...accurately. He is able to know who he is calling based on the picture next to their contact.
I have a screen lock on my phone. I've never taught him what the combination is. Apparently, he was able to pick it up on his own. This morning I woke up to him leaving PawPaw another message about his plans for the afternoon. PawPaw returned his call and apologized for not answering. Josiah was gracious enough to say, "That's ok. Just don't do it again." Oh, I'm sorry. He was still SLEEPING. Now he is watching YouTube train videos, because he has figured out how to use a computer mouse to click between videos. I'm not quite sure what I am going to do about this new electronic savvy child. I would change my phone combination, but since I didn't teach him the first one I'm not quite sure how long that will last.
In other party tricks, he is able to recite his address now and most of the time gets my phone number correct. This makes me immensely happy. Oddly enough, he is still getting the "911" number confused. So, in the event of a natural disaster or emergency, the child at least knows his full name and address, if he can figure out who to tell it to. I suppose if 911 doesn't work quite yet, he at least knows how to call someone else:)
No comments:
Post a Comment