Friday, April 25, 2008

Party Foul #1

I arrived home from work early this morning to greet my sweet family getting ready to venture to Dalton, Ga where Josiah's newest cousin is visiting. I kissed them goodbye, sad to see them go but grateful for the uninterrupted hours of quiet to follow so I could get a decent night of sleep. At approximately 10:36am (I'm not counting or anything...) I received a phone call from Jonathan. I groggily listened as Jonathan explained that he forgot the bag of bottles for Josiah's feedings...and now Josiah was hungry. I about cried. I told him I was hanging up, would get dressed, and by the time I called back he better be on the road to meet me. He called back and said, "There's a lot of formula here if you want to do that." Gross. As for me and my baby, we will serve the breastmilk. One bottle wouldn't be bad...but there was a projected need of 5 bottles. Not an option. So...I pulled on my clothes and prayed to the Lord to change my attitude over the next 40 miles, because I wasn't very happy. Ok, I couldn't muster happy if I tried. Jonathan and I met somewhere on the north end of Lake Allatoona and I fed Josiah in the parking lot. The sweet boy quietly latched on as if he had no clue what chaos surrounded our meeting. Luckily by the time I got there the Lord had miraculously mended some of the awful things I was thinking and feeling.

On the way home I was tired and found myself in construction traffic. I watched as the five cars behind me merged compliantly when they saw the "Left lane ends in 1 mile" sign. I then watched a stream of selfish drivers blow by me and everyone else, and I KNEW they had seen the sign. I suppose the sleep deprivation was making me sassy because I did something I think Bob would do. I whipped my car out and drove centered down the dashed line for the 1000 feet that remained. Defiant. Justice. It felt good. In some perverse way, executing that justice and watching the car behind me in the left lane creep so impatiently before realizing I wasn't standing down made me feel better. That's something I always want to do but don't. I decided I would stop at Walmart on the way home to get a cookie cake to take to work tonight for my birthday and I thought it was a great idea because Subway is in Walmart. I certainly won't have the drive to make dinner after losing half a night's rest, and Subway's footlongs are $5 right now. I went into Walmart and gasp--no cookie cakes. I asked the bakery lady if she had any in the back and she didn't seem the least bit phased when I looked defeated at her "No." Suck it up, Callie. So I went to get a storage tub I need to match the ones I already have. I mean, I was already there. They were out. Should I really be surprised? Salt in the wound, folks; just keep on pouring. So, I checked out with a box of diapers and some shoe insoles and proceeded to Subway, thankful that I would at least get dinner. Wrong. The Subway only had gross, cheap subs in $5 footlongs. Seriously, doesn't anyone know my birthday is less than 12 hours away!?

So, now that my day has been almost laughable, I am going to try and get a couple hours of rest before going into work and moving all day tomorrow. Awesome. Hopefully Publix will redeem me with a cake and a sub on my way out to work. Until then...have a wonderful day:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how tired you where. You should see how tired Mom is after she works the night shift. Whoo! Can't wait to see ya'll on Mother's Day and I'm really looking forward to meeting Josiah.