Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Settling in.

This blog was written on Monday, April 28 and is being published today.

Moving is the ultimate “one step forward, two steps back.” Just as I think I have established some sort of order among the paths I weave back and forth in my house, more stuff appears. The problem is up until this afternoon there were still carloads coming in from the apartment, and we have had to purchase a good number of things, also generating chaos. The boxed occlusions are getting smaller in number, but it is still exhausting to look at. I kind of feel like I am on my own island because we don’t have internet or television to stay in touch with the world. We have used the old-fashioned “look up” method for generating our weather report. It’s okay, because I think we have been about as accurate as any forecast of scattered showers can be.

Apparently Josiah is thriving in his new environment. He has slept through the night for the last two nights, conveniently the only two we have been in the house. I told my mom that Josiah’s magic number is in fact not 11 (lbs) but 2550. Okay, so even though it feels like it, he doesn’t weigh 2550 lbs (though I am convinced it is fast approaching at this rate). 2550 is our street number. I am glad that whatever the cause, Fatty has learned to suffice on 9pm’s glucose to make it through the night. I hope he just starts doing it permanently, because I don’t want to have to be the good mom that lets him fuss his way back to sleep because he has proven his lack of hunger on previous nights. If I'm a cop-out about it then I know my mom will ask me and I will have to fess up that either 1)I am wimpy at such things or 2)lie about it. Since 2 isn't a choice, and 1 is not something I want to admit, he needs to just continue to sleep so I don't have to breach this threshold of motherhood.

Not only has Josiah used the last two days to sleep through the night, he has also just started to sit up on his own. I was a little taken back when I sat him up yesterday and rather than slumping over he just sat straight up and grabbed a toy. What?! I mean, how does he just start doing that in a matter of days? He still slumps when he gets tired, but that can take a while. I am blown away at how this kid changes every day.

Tonight I put him to bed smiling and proceeded to call my mom and chat as I put things away. I could hear Josiah in the bedroom playing, screeching, and running his fingers on the crib bars. Eventually his fun coos turned into frustrated ones, but I didn’t go in there to help him power down. (One point for the strong mom). Silence fell over the room eventually, and when I went in to check on him about 30 minutes later I found the evidence of his play…him 180 degrees from the way I left him. It was pretty funny. Now he sleeps peacefully and I am not too far from following. Only a couple more days of hard work, takeout, and chaos.

See blog below from Saturday, also published today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josiah's probably pretty advanced for his age. They grow up so fast. Just wait until he starts driving. Good luck when that happens. You're kind of an expert on moving. Shoot you could have given me some tips on moving in 2000. Litterally. Love ya.