Thursday, May 1, 2008

Heading down the moving mountain.

This post was written on Wednesday, April 30th and is being published today.

So I am sitting down to blog about our day as a way to cool off since Jonathan and I just discovered the incredibly frustrating news that our dryer’s cord is not long enough to reach the socket, and the washer cords are not long enough to be configured any other accommodating way in the room. Awesome. Jonathan thinks that he can purchase a longer cord tomorrow, and I hope he is right, because having the socket moved would be nothing short of a nightmare. I was looking forward to washing clothes tonight. It was a three outfit kind of day for Josiah.

Anyway, Josiah and I got up at 9am and began to finish unpacking the boxes. I think after four days of playing in the exersaucer alone, he was at his tipping point. I was only able to work in short intervals, and by 11:30, I knew he needed a serious break. We went on a walk in our new neighborhood, and it was the best walk I have been on in a while. I don’t know the area well at all, so I enjoyed discovering our surroundings. I found the “inner city” private school that some of our friends work at…that is a whole 7 houses down from us in the church at the end of the block. They lost their credibility a little on that one. I thought they were in the ghetto, and I certainly don’t live in the ghetto. Anyway, it was a surprising discovery, one that I only made since I was walking and able to take my time to look at everything. I found a small, older park about a block from our house, but it didn’t have any baby swings. There are regular swings and a wooden playground, so perhaps one day it will be beneficial.

We toured around for a little less than an hour, and then when we returned home I decided to trim some of the unruly bushes next to our driveway. Technically, the bushes are on our neighbor’s property, but it is very obvious that they have no intentions of grooming the bushes themselves any time soon. The branches were smacking my rear view mirror as I backed down the driveway, convincing me I had hit something serious. I parked Josiah’s stroller and began cutting away. After about 20 minutes I heard a pop, and I turned around to see Josiah’s stroller heading straight down our driveway. I have never run so fast in my life. All I saw was the stroller. I was locked in on catching it. I caught up with him right before he rolled into the street, and we actually broke our speed in the road. If you can imagine the old movies where the pram rolls innocently into the traffic and the baby is cooing naively, that is exactly how the scene happened here. I wheeled Josiah around, relieved that our street is quiet and that my baby was still intact, and he innocently looked up and grinned at me like he enjoyed the ride. I had to catch my breath after that one. The adrenaline took a while to wear off, and when I re-parked his stroller, I made sure there was no way he would roll again, even if the break let out. I trimmed as much as I could, wary that the neighbors would somehow complain that the bushes actually were starting to look decent. There are about three different things trying to grow out of the same spot- including a tree, a vine, and the unruly bush. For now I just trimmed it all back. We came back inside for Josiah to eat and play for a little while. Jonathan came home and needed to take pictures of his guitars for our homeowners insurance. When he attempted to take the first picture, the camera beeped “Memory card full.” He, with exasperation, asked me why I hadn’t taken the time to upload the pictures off the camera. And I said a cuss word. A bad one at that. I was a little (ok, a lot) frustrated to be asked that on day #5 of unpacking all day long, and day 16 or so of this whole ordeal. I said I was sorry, but he told me I didn’t mean it. I didn’t. I had to go rock Josiah for a few minutes in the quiet before I really was sorry.

After about an hour, Josiah was tired so I put him to sleep and I finished unpacking the rest of the boxes. He woke up in the middle of his nap hungry again, and as I nursed him I began to feel drowsy myself. I situated us lying down on the couch, cuddled up to finish his nap. It felt like it had been ages since we had taken a nap together, and my spirit felt like it was overflowing with sweetness and joy from the feeling of cuddling up with my baby. We slept together for two whole hours. I dreamed of my friend from work teaching me how to use my dishwasher. Sick, I know. I guess my subconsious self is anxious to learn. Neither Jonathan nor I have ever used one. Luckily, these days it isn't took complicated. Put the tablet in and push start. I hope. Anyway, when he began to stir I woke up and was smiling at him when he opened his eyes. We giggled together for a few minutes before we got up to change his diaper. Rejuvenated from his 3 hour nap, he played in his exersaucer and then on his floor while I picked up a few more things.

Josiah has started this new panting tactic when he gets frustrated or wants some help. He works himself up with this panting number, as if to try and threaten me that things are going to get worse if I don’t help. This is in addition to the growling that he does when he is working hard to accomplish something. Now when I describe this as a pant and a growl, they sincerely sound just like that. I might try to get it on videotape soon. As soon as I upload those pictures and empty the memory stick.

Tonight I decided that maybe my fertility is coming back, based on a couple of personal observations. Considering my birthday was just this last week, I am hoping to be incorrect. Then I felt sick to my stomach about it all. Then I asked the Lord for mercy. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Now Josiah is awake again and I need to feed him before putting him back down for the night. Until next time…

No comments: