Wednesday, May 7, 2008

To poop or not to poop, that is the question.

Ahh, the incredible privilege of internet in my house! After a week and a half of no internet, this certainly feels great. The best part is I am not obligated to buy a drink, and I am not battling a fussy baby. So, before I continue with my thoughts from today, I must resume from yesterday...

As if the lack of pooping and not sharing didn't comprise enough excitement for the day, Josiah also proved all of the baby books wrong. That's right, you heard me. Flat out wrong. Today's "recommendation" is that all bumpers be removed from cribs, as this can pose a suffocation risk (ehh?). I, of course, left Josiah's bumper in because I labored long and hard to make it. Throw caution to the air, because the thing is cute. Good decision, I know. So, a couple of the circles on Josiah's bumper started to peel off, and knowing he has a great ability to reach and pull, I decided to remove the bumper, stitch the circles, and then put it back in. Stitching the circles isn't a one day task, either, mind you. The bumper has been gone for a couple of days now and Josiah has used the opportunity to pull himself around on the bars and make himself look more like a prisoner than a safely contained baby. He has pushed his face against the bars, pulled his head in the corner, and even let his arms hang out, but nothing to be too concerned about...until yesterday. He was fussing a little while after I laid him down for a nap, so I went to check on him. There was good reason for the fuss. He had gotten his leg stuck between the bars, and his leg is so fat that it was wedged pretty good. He was in an awkward position, and I could tell he had been working to free himself. It took a good bit of force on my end to be able to free him. So much for the "safe without a bumper" motto. The kid could have broken or dislocated his leg very easily, and if it happened at night I would have just let him cry, thinking he just needed to fall back asleep. I shake my fist at the AAP and I will be putting the bumper back in ASAP (only about 116 circles to go...). I will be continuing to give him his blanket, too.

Today everything we tried to accomplish was about 10 times harder than it needed to be. I finally resolved to get some brown Roman blides for Josiah's room that we had eyed at IKEA. When I got there I found that the largest was 55" and I needed at least 60". I decided to run by TJ Maxx on my way back home and proceeded to get stuck in 30 minutes of traffic to move 1/2 mile. I am not exaggerating. I found out later that the bank was being robbed (it appeared they were having a standoff when I passed), and the traffic was being detoured past the bank. Eventful, I suppose, but not fun. I tried to set up our internet and it told me the computer wasn't compatible. We went to get photos printed and the machine wouldn't work. It was just one of those kind of days.

I did go to REI to get new BPA-free Nalgenes for Jonathan and myself, and while I was there I felt guilty for not buying BPA bottles for Josiah. We thought about it the other day and didn't. So, I went back to Target and bought a pack of the BPA-free bottles. The good news is they were only $2.99 for 3 bottles. The bad news is the nipples look small and unappetizing compared to his Avent bottles. We are going to test drive them, and if they don't suit him then we will suck it up and go ahead and buy the glass bottles we plan on getting down the road for whatever lucky kids follow later. Hopefully the dollar bottles will taste great.

Josiah was more fussy today than usual. I couldn't decide if it was his constipation or teething. Really, it was probably both. He has had some awful smelling toots. He did have a decent poop late in the afternoon, so we know everything is still working. Apparently teething can throw everything off, and tonight Josiah was only consoled by a cold teething ring. It looks like he may have some tooth buds appearing, but I am a novice at detecting these kind of things. I just hope that he resolves or postpones by Sunday.

Well, I must go indulge myself in leisurely time on the internet. Welcome back to 2008, Callie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for wanting to leave Josiah's bumper on his crib. I would have done the same thing. How's teaching him how to share going? Your blog title, "To poop or not to poop, that is the question." is pretty funny. See ya'll tomorrow. Mom and I don't know how to get to the park near your house so we'll just follow you to the park after church. Hope that's cool. Love ya Callie.