Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cinco de Mayo, Ya'll.

This blog was written on Monday, May 5. Wow, what a day. I worked last night for the fourth night in a row. We lost a patient last night, so it made it even more tiring. Such things don’t usually happen in maternal medicine. I collapsed in bed, incredibly grateful to cuddle with my husband and son. Just being with them can bandage any wound. After a four-hour nap, we went to run errands in preparation for our cookout next week. This evening Jonathan dropped me off at Target while he went to meet up with some friends that were in town with their band. Josiah and I went into Target…but what I didn’t realize is that he would reach his happy limit while I was in the dressing room. Suddenly my restless child escalated into an inconsolable screaming one. I rushed to put my regular clothes back on, but of course he was screaming because it was impossible for me to hold him at the same time. We exited the dressing room with a few glances, but nothing we couldn’t recover from. I knew he was tired, but my efforts to help him power down in the middle of Target were to no avail, and escaping to the car wasn’t an option, as we had been dropped off. Awesome. I struggled to pat his bottom, put him in the sling, out of the sling, in the carrier on the cart…nothing. My only hope was the rhythm of the cart, so I put him in it and instead of calming him down, we turned into the blaring siren as he flailed and I pushed onward. Since I knew he just needed to have a mini meltdown, I wasn’t extremely concerned, but then I felt the pressure when I noticed my son the blaring siren was drawing all kinds of stares. At a loss for what to do, stuck in Target with a screaming baby (not to be confused with crying--this was the very top of his register and volume), I made the quick decision to grab a beanbag off of the shelf and sit down to nurse. So, there I sat in the middle of a Target aisle, cart parked next to us, and I nursed him to sleep. Luckily beanbags aren’t that hip anymore, so we didn’t get any awkward stares from other guests. After he was asleep I put him back in the carrier and finished my shopping.

We ate dinner at 10pm, once again, as is the trend as of late. At least we are upgrading, because we are eating at home now. Anyway, I am falling asleep so I must run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Josiah starts screaming while you're out shoping just take a mini CD Player with some head phones, put the head phones on Josiah's ears, and play The Korean National Anthem to calm him down. That's why I gave you the CD that my English teacher from high school burned to help Josiah calm down if he gets fussy in public and to help him fall asleep. Dad sang The Korean National Anthem to help me fall asleep when I was a baby and to calm me down when I was fussy at my baptism in May 1987. Dad would have wanted you and Jonathan to continue that tradition, but that's up to ya'll. :) See ya'll this weekend. Can't wait to meet Josiah.