We've had an eventful weekend.
I, personally, had a very eventful breastfeeding weekend. New things happen even 7.5 months after the commencement of my breastfeeding adventures. Jonathan took Josiah to my mom's house on Friday morning, so by the time I woke up I was well-endowed with milk. I got up to go to the bathroom and as I started to go, an uncontrollable fountain established itself out of my left breast. I sat there helplessly until it subsided a good twenty seconds later. I suppose that my body didn't have the capacity to distinguish the difference between the two letdowns at that point. It was funny and bizarre and, well, sticky.
I didn't pump at work on Friday night, but I naively thought that I could handle it. I was doing fine until about 6:30am when I saw my patient's family member breastfeeding, which of course made me think about breastfeeding myself, which of course made my milk come in once again...
Josiah was still at my mom's 45 minutes away from work. I left work late, and as I drove as fast as safely possible to their house, the pressure increased in my chest. My breasts were consuming more territory of my chest and armpits than previously allotted. I made it to about 10 minutes away, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I pulled out my breastpump battery pack, hooked it up, and shoved my pump under one side of my shirt. I drove those last 10 minutes with a big cone under my shirt relieving some of the pressure. Don't worry, I still managed to drive with two hands. By the time I arrived I had a 5oz bottle and a breast that seemed unphased. Luckily, Josiah was eager to ease my discomfort, and in no time my chest was back to normal. I'm not quite sure where he put all that milk, because I can honestly assess it to be about 12 ounces.
While I was coping with all my milk issues, Josiah was mastering new skills. He learned how to stand up in his crib while at my mom's. They reported that he couldn't figure out how to sit back down. This morning, Jonathan found him standing in his crib, screaming towards our bedroom. This afternoon we had to lower his crib to accommodate this new found skill. Our good friends, Callie and David, came over for dinner, and afterward we were sitting in Josiah's room while he played. He surprised us by pulling up on his exersaucer and stepping over to his chest. The kid can scoot while standing! AHH! This is happening extremely too fast. I can't believe it. What impresses me most is his big grin when we look flabbergasted. It's as if he is saying, "Pretty cool, huh?" He is very proud of himself, and who can blame him. He just blew past any standard of expectations we might have without a hitch. Unbelievable.
No comments:
Post a Comment