Sunday, June 29, 2008

a few thoughts and observations.

Last night I did the most stressful thing I have done yet with Josiah. We accompanied Jonathan to a VERY traditional wedding in a church with excellent acoustics. Josiah was behaving himself quite nicely until the "Entrance of the mothers" took 10 minutes. Not lying. My heart was racing, trying to anticipate his every yelp and coo. At one point, we moved back a couple of aisles so he could crawl in the gap between the pews. That was an excellent solution until he fell sideways and bumped his head on the concrete. He started crying and we rushed out the back, board book in one pew, keys in the other. After the ceremony we recovered our items. I won't do that again. There is no way to predict an 8 month old.

This afternoon we all laid down to take a nap as a family. Josiah was snuggled in between our chests, and we met around him at the top and bottom. As I became drowsy, I thought to myself that it was one of the sweetest moments I have ever experienced. It felt so incredible to have our little cocoon around our baby and still be able to snuggle with my husband, too.

A lot has happened in the last week. I think I say that every week. It is true every time.

Josiah is getting quite quick with crawling, especially when he he sets his sights on a prize. He is also learning how to open drawers. This is a lethal combination. He is pulling up on absolutely everything. He can actually sit down from pulling up sometimes, too. Always a helpful tool. I have realized how much of his fussing only a couple of weeks ago was from being immobile. Now that he can move, he is possibly the happiest baby on earth. He smiles ALL the time and at everybody he sees. Ironically I am typing this as he screams because Jonathan just left the room. I had to stop and think if my statement was accurate. It is. He is a happy boy.

This last week he started to actually look at the pages in his books. Up until now he just thought books were good for eating. He loves books with pictures of people, especially babies. He has a book called "Goodnight, Baby," and he always babbles at the pictures of the babies. He has gotten more and more vocal lately, and certain things bring out his talkative side. Other babies are some of those things. Right now he is babbling away at his musical table, which he pulls up on very proficiently now. "mama vwa vwa, nee-ah" was his last string of sounds. He likes , "wub wub wub wa" the most, though.

He has started to sleep on his stomach some, and while other baby friends of ours have been doing this for months, it freaked me out the first time I found him that way. I think it was more a result of him passing out in crawling position than actually preferring his stomach. He is about 50/50 now. The only problem has been in the mornings when he lays down to nurse in our bed and tries to twist into the crawling stance. He actually managed it somehow this morning, and he nursed himself to sleep, just like a little stinkbug. I felt like he was going to smother himself, but he was obviously pleased. and still breathing.

The diaper rash is improving. I am very pleased with that. Consistent butt paste, diaper changes and expensive diapers seems to be a good remedy. This is also the most obvious one. Before I go, Josiah has a few words he would like to share himself, as he has been dying to get a chance to type:

xxxx x vbddjytdhxcvb vb vv zzzcaavbbsytfgcvcvcvhvbggvvcccvvvw4gvvvvvvvvgggggggggggggcxvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvwwgdwdvggggggwxws3gcwsgcwcwwwg3wcwsgwscw3gggggggggwwwwwwwwccccccccccccccwwcwgggccwsccggwswgws3gc6gwwwwwwwww3336cwcwsggggwwwwwww tjasfc b bv bghjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjhhhhhhhhhhh

I promise he typed every word himself. Pretty soon he'll be taking over, I suppose.

No comments: