Monday, September 22, 2008

Mastitis...lack of fun for all ages.

I have been pretty much incapacitated all day by mastitis. For those of you who don't know what that means, it is an infection in my milk ducts that produces flu-like symptoms--a fever, chills, body aches, headache--and overall awful feelings. I slept most of the day, went to the doctor who confirmed my diagnosis, and started antibiotics to help it clear. At my worst I couldn't see straight and could barely stumble from the car back to the bed, feeling my brain rattle around in my head like metal on metal. Luckily, my wonderful husband was also home today and could care for Josiah while our bedroom was converted into my own personal infirmary.

My fever broke this evening, leaving me feeling much better than before, and I have been able to function on "light" mode. I still have that feeling of being volatile---like when the ibuprofen wears off that I might be back in the ditch. I definitely don't feel 100%, but I know how far I have come.

I am surprised to have come down with mastitis this far into my nursing career. Typically, people are ailed by it when the milk supply is at its peak or just starting to come in. I somewhat wonder if this is a product of my body adjusting to Josiah's new eating habits, as he is not nursing nearly as much. Perhaps the milk just sat too long in one place. The doctor told me that it can happen at any time and without good reason. I am VERY grateful I haven't fought this battle before now. It is not fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Callie, I'm so sorry you felt so bad. Are you doing better? Is the infection gone?