I'm not sure when it started exactly, (though I would guess about a month ago), but Josiah will not sleep next to me anymore...or nurse laying next to me. He jumps up and wants to lay across my chest instead. Whenever we nap together in the mornings or if we take a nap together during the day, I already know that if I don't position him laying across me, he will make the adjustment himself. Essentially he kneels next to me and lays his body and head across my chest. This isn't the most comfortable position for me, as I have to lay flat on my back, but he insists, and uncomfortable sleep is better than no sleep at all. It is such a peculiar thing.
Josiah loves dogs. He gets so excited about them that he starts flailing his arms, says "ohhh, ohhh" and has named them "Di-dee." We aren't sure where he picked it up, but now we encourage him and call them "Doggies."
With the next observation I must admit a blip in our parenting radar: Josiah loves soft serve ice cream. Yesterday we were at Jason's Deli where the ice cream is complimentary. Josiah had repetively refused his pears and had elected to only eat Goldfish and animal crackers. I let him have a small taste of the vanilla soft serve, and he began flailing uncontrollably, demanding more. We tried to use this teachable moment (ha) to teach reinforce sign language for "more." We kept repeating "more" with the hand movement, and finally he said, "MA!" as if he was saying, "More, okay, MORE, I get it, just give it to me!" So much for controlling that behavior. We are still working on the sign language.
Last night we had to go to a little concert Jonathan did for a group of middle schoolers. It was way past Josiah's bedtime, and I had anticipated this by bringing his pjs. I changed his diaper and put him into his pajamas just before leaving, but he had an untimely poop as we walked out the door. I laid him in the seat with a newspaper underneath him to change the diaper, and it seemed risky but necessary. I got the diaper off, had his butt dangling in the air and had managed to clean it off when all of the sudden he was gasping for breath under a fountain of lemonade. He had reached up, grabbed my cup of lemonade, and proceeded to try to drink out of it. Well, of course I yanked him up to help him catch his breath. Jonathan was startled and trying to make sense of it when he pointed out that the new growing puddle of lemonade was in fact Josiah peeing all over the seat. Apparently, the cold water and the fright had led him to pee. Imagine me, holding a half dressed baby out of the car, whipping him around like a sprinkler out of control in the parking lot as Jonathan did damage control with the car. And I naively thought such fiascos were coming to a close.
Today we were in Target and I had given Josiah an animal cracker to tide him over. I was consumed with the cereals and was surprised to look down and find that he had pulled out the snack holder, had opened it up, and was reaching down inside to pull out more crackers. Pretty smart kid I have here.
I tried for two days to get Josiah's 11 month pictures. I was convinced that I could get the perfect picture with the pumpkins and perfect fall decor I had selected. After two different trials, Josiah made it apparent that he would NOT be smiling in pumpkin pictures. So, here are the best ones:
Here, he said, "I hate the stupid pumpkin!"
"No more pumpkin pictures, Mom!"
"That's it; I'm out of here. I'm getting away from the pumpkins."
No comments:
Post a Comment