Friday, October 24, 2008

Short stories for a rainy day.

A couple of fun stories from the week...

Yesterday I suspiciously noticed Josiah chewing on something while sitting on the kitchen floor. He grinned up at me with a little too much mischief, so I asked Jonathan if he knew what was in his mouth. Jonathan attributed it to a Cheerio that had been left on the ground, and at first I agreed. Jonathan walked outside and I watched as Josiah kept chewing. I suspected that it didn't take that long to chew a Cheerio so I jumped down and tried to open his mouth to see. Of course that went over as well as trying to take a treat away from a dog. Amongst the struggle I got a glimpse of light brown and said, "oh, it IS a Cheerio!" and he grinned at me and gave a chuckle. Busted. He ALMOST got away with it, and the chuckle gave it away. "What is that I smell on your breath? PEANUTS." I swept the chunks of peanut out of his mouth, much to his dismay. He had done a fairly good job of crunching it up, but I didn't trust him to finish the job--not to mention he isn't supposed to have them. He wasn't very happy with me. In fact, he threw a fit and took a minute to forgive me. Tough life.

Tonight Josiah was having a blast in the bathtub. He was beating the surface of the water with alternating drum hands, making an absolute mess and we both were giggling up a storm. The task aspect of his bath was over and I was just letting him play when he stood up and leaned on the edge of the tub. I motioned for him to get out, but he didn't respond. He just stood staring at me and making some odd jibberish. Just about the time I suspected it...PLOP. Josiah dropped a load in the bath water. At that point I just let him stand until he dropped a second and made some indication he might be done. When I returned to the bathroom to clean up I was extremely grateful that we use a blow up tub inside of the full tub. That made clean-up WAY easier and much more tolerable. Josiah just seemed tickled with the whole experience. Personally, I am surprised we haven't encountered such an incident before now.

Tonight he was starting to get restless as bed time approached and I asked him if he was ready to go night night. He reached his arms up and said, "Nun nun." We walked from the kitchen to his bedroom with him chanting, "nun nun." I took that as a yes.

Something about this age is incredibly charming. He has GOT to be the most adorable baby in the whole world. The world seems to acknowledge it, too. He laughs at everything. When we are playing on the floor he intermittently scampers up into my arms for a big bear hug and some kisses, then he is content to go back on his way playing again. He just needs a little positive affirmation fill-up. It is so fantastic, and my heart is a little remorseful knowing that he won't ALWAYS want to dive into my embrace. I just know how full both of our hearts feel in those moments.

1 comment:

Emily Clark said...

Wonderful stories, Callie! And I have to agree that Josiah IS the most adorable baby in the world ;)