This morning Josiah woke up at 5am after about 6 hours and 15 minutes of sleep. To most, 5am would sound early. I felt so rested that even though he nursed and fell back asleep, I laid awake and refreshed for an hour. In the last week he has had about 3 nights of 5-6 hour sleep segments. This is, by definition, sleeping through the night. Bliss, I tell you!
We have quite a few baby friends his same age that have been sleeping through the night for over a month now, but this is where I remind myself that the books say, "Don't compare your baby to other babies because they all develop at different rates." I think you are supposed to do that so you won't feel bad for your baby, but I'm doing it so I won't feel sorry for myself. I mean, who knew that it was possible to function off of so little sleep? Let's ;be honest, though, "function" has to be redefined. Three days ago I put a biscuit in the microwave for 10 SECONDS, and when the microwave beeped I thought to myself, "huh, what is that?" Sleep deprivation is killing my brain cells. Don't do drugs, just have a baby. I suppose by the time the kid is 18 the damage will be the same. Right now I am recalling the early days of Josiah's life when my mom said there was something "magic" about the 11lb marker. In fact, I remember her saying that it took me 3-4 months to get there, as if I would be lucky since he had a 1lb start on my birth weight. For the record, Josiah blew past 11 pounds like he was getting paid for it. I don't know when it happened exactly, but if I had to guess I would say December 20th or so, because by his two month visit to the pediatrician he weighed in at a hefty 12lb. (from 9lb 4oz at the one month visit). There was no magic for us on December 20th. OR ANY TIME CLOSE TO IT.
Regardless, I can't be frustrated because he is very legitimately hungry when he wakes. He doesn't just wake up for giggles (good thing), and he goes right back to sleep after eating. I have kept him on a schedule, loaded him up during the day, kept his temperature just right, all in hopes of that magical full night of sleep--but it seems he is finally getting there, on his own, several pounds heavier than most...and believe it or not, I am not the least bit swayed in my desire to do it over and over with future baby Riches. I am, however, thinking that 6 is the new 8.
Until I sit down to write, I forget how much changes in our lives in just one week's time. The other thing in Josiah's life that has developed over the last week is the use of a blanket as a "lovey." I'm not really one for encouraging an attachment to an object (we all have heard the horror stories of 35 year olds that can't leave home without it...or worse, when it gets lost right as the 2 year old kid comes down with the flu), but I have realized that some kids just do it on their own. I had a "B" when I was a baby, and at some point in my childhood I decided I would survive without it. (That was long after the neighbor sucked it up in the vaccum and shredded half of it.) My mom set good parameters on where "B" could and could not go, as will be the case with Josiah's lovey if he develops an attachment for one. Currently, it happened by accident, as I realized he would pull the blanket up to his face and fall right asleep. It is so EASY for him to go down for naps when I give him his pacifier and a corner of the blanket to hold. The blanket isn't in with him at night (no blankets in the crib is a "new" rule for all you old-timers) so right now its power extends only to daytime naps. If it could ONLY be so convenient as to stay that way. Oh, naive Callie. Go ahead and say it. I know it's what you're thinking. We'll see how it goes, but for now the blanket stays for naps.
My very cute child is starting to look a little patchy in the hair department. I do have the "my baby is the best" syndrome, but not enough to disregard the fact that his head is starting to look a little goofy. He is balding mostly on the upper left side of his head, but it is quickly disappearing on the right, too. Good news for all the mohawk fans, because those ridiculously long strands on top seem to be sticking around, at least for now. The pediatrician told me this would probably happen, but I was hoping it would all stay. So much for that.
One more funny story before I depart...
Yesterday we had the pleasure of enjoying the company of Jonathan and Carrie Tabb, who happen to be the only friends we have that currently have a baby. Their little girl, Morgan, was born two months after Josiah. Carrie was changing Morgan's diaper as I looked on, and as she pulled the diaper back, I nearly gasped. My brain thought, "But where is the penis!?" Of course it didn't take me that long to realize that MORGAN IS A GIRL AND GIRLS DON'T HAVE PENIS', but I found it hilarious how conditioned I was to what sights are beheld when a diaper is removed. We all got a good laugh about my near panic, and Jonathan (her husband) admitted he was a little startled when he saw some extra parts during Josiah's diaper change earlier in the afternoon. OH, the joys of parenthood. To be continued...
1 comment:
That story is pretty funny. I wonderd what happend to your baby blanket. Now I know. I still have Cat-Cat. You remember him right? The dogs ate half of his face off. We're going to try and fix him up.
Post a Comment