Friday, February 15, 2008

Raising a smart child in a dumb society.

Just when I thought that there wasn't much more interesting to say about our week so far...

This story begins last week when I was doing our taxes and it occurred to me that I had never received Josiah's social security number. "What should I do?" I pondered, so I got on the SSA website. The website has a question and answer section, of which one question was "What if I filed for my child's card and never received it?" After thoroughly reviewing the SSA's answer, I deduced that
1)Yes, my child is older than 6 weeks and therefore should have received his card by now
2)to obtain his card, since we had never received one previously, we would have to go in person.
3)I would need a certified copy of his birth certificate and identification for myself.

After making sure I knew all of the rules, (go ahead and laugh now) I spent Friday morning going to vital records to get a copy of his birth certificate. On Monday, Jonathan and I trekked to the Social Security administration to wait in line for an hour before being called. We were exasperated already, because if the card had just arrived as it was supposed to, we wouldn't have had to be there in the first place. With relief we approached the window and handed over our documents. The guy promptly handed them right back. Gasp. WHAT?? I had followed of the rules. (now you should really be laughing, because the government just makes up whatever the heck they feel like). The following is my dialogue with the guy behind the glass (which, by the way, I am now thinking is bullet-proof and not just for "personal space"):

Me: We never received my son's SS card in the mail and so I need to get one.
SSA: So you need a replacement card.
Me: No, it isn't a replacement card because I don't even know if you mailed the first one.
SSA: We have a number for him.
Me: So then you did mail a card.
SSA: Not neccessarily.
Me: What do you mean, not neccessarily?
SSA: Not neccessarily. If you filed with the hospital, sometimes they do the paperwork wrong. I have a lot of moms come in that have to re-file for the card.
Jonathan: I mean, since you have the number assigned that should mean that the hospital did it correctly, right?
SSA: Well, (nod of head), not neccessarily. I mean, it just depends.
Jonathan and me: It just depends on what??
SSA: It just depends.
Me: What?!
SSA: Well, I see you filled out the replacement application, but you need two copies of identification for the baby in order to get a replacement card. I can give you a print-out of his number, but not a new card.
Me: How am I supposed to have two forms of identification for the baby? The website said I only needed the birth certificate and my ID.
SSA: Sorry, maam. I just need to see a shot record or insurance card with his name on it.
Me: What is the difference between giving me a printout of his number and a new card? It's the same information.
SSA: Sorry, maam. I just need to see a shot record or insurance card with his name on it.
Me:How does a shot record or insurance card prove anything?! My baby doesn't HAVE a shot record, and he isn't shown on my insurance card either. How am I supposed to get his card?
SSA: Well, I don't know. You have to have one of those.
Me: So you are telling me that I have to come sit in this line again with another form of identification to get the card?
SSA: You can mail it in, but some people don't like to send that information through the mail.
Me: Yeah, well, I don't exactly trust the mail at this point.
SSA: So, yes, you have to come back.
Me: Well, now that I have his number I won't be back for a couple more years until someone actually needs to see the card.
SSA: Ok.

So, I leave SSA with steam coming out of my ears, fire coming out of my mouth, and tears trying to come out of my eyes. "I HATE SOCIAL SECURITY. THESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS! I fume at the idea that one of the "second forms of identification" would make me any more legitimate. How does that prove him any more than me, with photo identification, listed as his mother on the birth certificate? In addition, my kid won't even benefit from social security, so they should at least be kind to me now!" (ha) So, Jonathan and I resolve that at least we will get that child tax credit now, and after fuming for 15 minutes or so, we resumed our lives. I had completely forgotten about our ill encounter until this afternoon when I returned home to find our mail. Oh, no, you are thinking, the end couldn't be...

YES, MAGICALLY, Josiah's social security card showed up on our doorstep this afternoon. "Was it really just lost in the mail, afterall?" you wonder. Thankfully not (I would have really regretted my Monday afternoon, then!) The envelope was postmarked on the 12th...of February. Conveniently, we visited the office on the 11th.

So, after laughing and thinking even less of the people running this ship, I am relieved that I don't have to go back there again. For a while. I don't care what magic happened, I am just glad that it did! And yes, I will be putting a fraud alert on Josiah's number because I don't trust that it didn't get mailed the first time.

That is the story of the week. Now on to tougher things, like how to raise a smart child in times like these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have had the guts to stand up to those jerks like you and Jonathan did. There's probably a logical explenation for why Josiah's social security card showed up in the mail the day after ya'll went to the Social Security office. I have to agree with you on the fact that the government makes up whatever the heck they feel like Call. Hopefully our next president will change that. In the emortal words of John Mayer, "So we keep on waiting. Waiting. Waiting On The World To Change. We keep on waiting. Waiting. Waiting On The World To Change."