Friday, February 18, 2011

yes, really.

Perhaps this is payback for the fact that Josiah was born at 37 weeks and I never reached the point of being desperate for his birth or watching the calendar as more and more days passed without a baby. Perhaps this is a lesson in patience. Perhaps the due date is a suggestion, not a declaration. Perhaps it's wrong all together. Perhaps...the baby should just come already.

Jonathan took me on a surprise date on Thursday. We ate a nice dinner and stayed in a fancy hotel in the city for the night. It was a great night, and I was grateful we didn't get "the call" on the one morning we got to sleep in. However, we are a full 48 hours post-date with no news.

I've scrubbed the kitchen cabinets, polished the stainless steel appliances, relined my garden beds with rocks, and wiped off all the switch plates in my house. I've laid more pine straw, washed the front porch, and organized the linen closet. I finished my blog book. Josiah and I have played extensively outside over the last few days, as the weather has been beautiful. As if that wasn't enough, today my mom and I tiled our 280 sq. ft back patio with slate...and finished. I made my adoption specialist laugh out loud when I complained about blowing through the to-do list I thought I would be working on during the 10 day wait. She told me to keep finding things to do. Anyone can see that my list already includes outrageous tasks. I can't add them on when I get desperate because they have already been done. It seems Josiah and I will be doing fun things for that time instead.

February 23rd will be the one year mark for when we first turned in paperwork with our agency. While I thought the baby might come home that day, perhaps she is holding out for a big birthday bash on that day instead. When you have waited a full year to hear word that your daughter has arrived, a few extra days are somewhat meaningless. However, it does not rob the excitement of each day that passes when I think, "Could this dream possibly be coming to pass?" Oh, I count it pure joy to wait on the arrival of my sweet baby girl...even if the wait is unlike anything else I've done before.

No comments: