Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 3

Today is Day 3 of 11 for our wait. In our state, the mother has 10 days to change her mind regarding her adoption plan before it is final. If the 10th day falls on a weekend or holiday, then the 10th day is moved forward to the next business day. Hence, our "10th" day is Monday instead of Sunday. Stretch me, Lord. I had already strategized that our baby shouldn't be born on a Tuesday or Wednesday because of this. When she arrived on a Wednesday I didn't care at all, because she was finally here and on 2.23 nonetheless.

This morning I was dressing Josiah and he said, "I want to wear my big brother shirt." Take breath, look quizzically at him. We haven't told Josiah about this baby. We always tell him we hope his baby sister is coming home "soon," but soon has been the last 8 months. I said, "Josiah, do you know what big brother means?"
"Yes, Mom, I do."
"Well then you can't wear your big brother shirt until you have a little sister."
"But I AM a big brother now."
"That means you would have a little sister."
"I DO have one now."

I was flabbergasted. Either this child has perceived more than I think without asking any questions at all, OR (and I tend to believe the latter), he knows in his spirit that his sweet baby sister has arrived. I told him perhaps he could wear the shirt next week. It will absolutely be his attire for Monday, should we be so lucky to make it that far.

Have I mentioned how absolutely beautiful this baby girl is? I look at pictures of her over and over again. I'm definitely obsessed with her sweet little face. I can't believe she might be my daughter! Take breath, say a prayer, and proceed with distractions.

No comments: