Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One roll forward, two rolls back.

It is official. Josiah has forgotten how to roll over. I suppose his skill set is growing too quickly and he had to trade it in for more interesting feats. Regardless, he has experienced tummy time multiple times today, and they all end the same way...with him crying with his face buried into the quilt. His neck and back are getting stronger, so he sits contentedly on his belly now, but when it comes time to roll over, he just won't budge. Being the mean mother I am, I let him fuss a long time while sitting there and encouraging him to remember how great he had gotten at resolving his predicament. Jonathan finally told me to help him, which meant flip him over all the way because he isn't even trying on his own. He WAS trying to scoot forward for a better grasp on his toys, but obviously he just kicked his legs and moved in a circle rather than forward. So what are those other skills he has acquired, you ask?

Josiah is now a jumping bean. He doesn't like to stand up in our laps anymore. He wants to spring up and down, up and down. I think he learned the joy of such things from being in his exersaucer, which has springs that allow him to do just that. He doesn't understand that Jonathan and I do not have built in springs, but he tries nonetheless and we cooperate, building our arm endurance. He has a "Johnny Jump up" (the thing you hang from the doorway), but he hasn't spent as much time in it. He can't seem to keep his toys on the tray, and he gets upset pretty quickly with nothing to look at or touch.

Another new thing: Josiah enjoys taking big, dramatic breaths like it is his very last. When he gets really excited, or among his babbling, he will draw the air into his lungs with a closed throat, and it sounds like the breaths someone would take as they gasp for life. Josiah is not gasping for life. He just things it's a new, cool way to manipulate the sounds that come out of his mouth. He follows this stunt with his other favorite past time: blowing raspberries until his face and his fat neck are covered in bubbly drool. The good news for me (beyond the adventure of digging into his neck folds to get the drool out) is that these two things can be entertaining to him for very long spans of time.

The new trend that has me cracking up all the time is his new need to hold the car seat bar with his right hand. He throws his arm over the edge and reaches backward to grasp the bar between his pointer finger and thumb. For whatever reason, it cracks me up. I keep forgetting to bring the camera to get a picture of it, but if I can capture it I will certainly share it here. It is hilarious. He only does it with the right hand, too.

Time to go to Bible study!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not mean. You're nice. Maybe ya'll could show Josiah how to roll over. Those new tricks do sound pretty cool. And Josiah holding the car seet bar with his right hand and throwing his arm over the dege and reaching backwards to grasp the bar between his pointer finger and thumb does sound pretty funny. I'll be waiting for the pictures. I can see Josiah as a comedian when he grows up.