I have been wanting to write for a couple of days now, but I have redefined sleep deprivation already and I have no aspirations of extending that merit. I worked 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday, and so today I have been putting the pieces of my life back together again. Saturday consisted of work, come home at 8pm, go out to eat (so I don't have to make my own dinner, not really for enjoyment's sake), come home and wash/sterilize bottles and pump parts, get ready for bed, and fall asleep. I didn't spend a second doing anything that wasn't absolutely necessary, and I still didn't manage to get to bed until 10:30. Wow. What a Saturday night. The fun police might arrest us next time. I woke up at 4:30am with Josiah, fed him, slept until 6, fed him again (this time for my sake and not his), got ready for work, and worked all day yesterday. The census on our floor was unbelievably low; in fact, I had one of two patients on the floor all day long, and she wasn't even in labor. The good side of that was I didn't have to work really hard and I had plenty of time to pump when I needed to as opposed to when I had time; the bad side was the day dragged on as I thought about my sweet boy at home.
My wonderful mom sent dinner home with Josiah, and it was a relief to eat dinner and not have to prepare for the next day. I fell asleep on the couch with Josiah at 10. He woke up this morning around 7:30 and I pulled him in bed with me, begging for mercy. He fell back asleep until 9, at which time he just swung his arm into my face repetitively until I woke up to play. After a day of rest, chores, and errands, we are feeling normal. Ok, that's a lie--I announced at 7:30pm that I was ready for bed. I am barely awake two hours later. Not for long, though. So the truth is I am wondering if I will ever know rest again. That is a rhetorical "wonder," as I don't really want to know the answer.
Hopefully tomorrow I will have the opportunity to write more and share the picture of my orchid...that now has 3 open blooms.
1 comment:
Don't worry Callie as Josiah gets older you'll get pleanty of time to sleep. Once you retire in a few years you'll get all the sleep you want. Mom has to work 12 hour shifts to so she knows how you feel. Being a nurse isn't easy. Day shift, Night shift, on call, yearly classes. "With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26 . I love you. You will always be my favorite mid-wife nurse!
Post a Comment