Yesterday the pediatrician informed us that at 4 months babies start to form habits on how they fall asleep. The only time Josiah falls asleep at the breast is at night when he goes to sleep for the evening, but she told us that we need to break that habit now. Sitting in her office, I was secretly thinking about how I could have conveniently left my report of that part of the visit out if I had ventured there as the sole parent, but my husband is a great dad and he was there, too. Busted. I was cornered. No fibbing to soften our habits. Pure accountability to do as she said. Dang. This "good" parenting thing takes a lot of work. I dreaded the formation of new healthy habits, as I knew it probably wouldn't be an easy transition. Afterall, if Josiah inherited one characteristic from either of us it is his ability to be persistent. True to my suspicions, "bedtime" took about two hours last night. Luckily we started early. I got him drowsy like she said, laid him down, and he promptly woke back up all the way. We used the pacifier, the blanket (which lost it's power after about one week), a stuffed animal. I would occasionally give him his pacifier again, reassure him, and tell him it was time for bed. After two hours of this--I am proud to say that I never took him out of the crib--I finally played music. Bam. Silence from the crib. Josiah's favorite song took him down. I wanted to laugh. No pacifier, blanket, or toy was involved in the victory. So, pretty much we traded one prop for another, but I suppose it is less embarassing if a 15 year old needs music to fall asleep rather than his mom's boob. Way to be a good parent, Callie. Currently I am typing this as song #5 plays. He isn't asleep yet (I hear him rubbing his hands on the bumper), but he is quiet and I am hopeful. We'll see.
For those of you that read my blog diligently, you will remember how I was striving to achieve the "look like that cute mom that took the time to style her hair (and what you don't know is she styled it two days ago and has been hoping for the chance to shower since then) " haircut. True to my word, I am reporting my findings. I GOT THAT HAIRCUT! I passed the strictest of critics, too--my fellow moms! At playgroup today we were talking about hair and after announcing that I didn't wash my hair every day and couldn't possibly manage my time well enough to do so, they said they thought I showered before I came every week because it was always styled. FOOLED! Even better, usually it is on day #2 by Wednesday. And no, they weren't just saying all of that to be nice. So, kudos to the hairstylist (and my dad who gave me a gift card for the cut!)
Other fun facts about today: Until today, Josiah could only roll to the right. Now, he has mastered rolling to the left as well. It's great...but now I have to be a much more attentive mom. This is only the beginning of the snowball; of this I am confident. Today we made a visit to Chick-fil-a where Dad is camping out to be one of the first 100 guests to a new store. If you are one of the first 100, you receive 52 free combo meals. Not all at once, of course. We did this together when I was 18 weeks pregnant, and then Jonathan did it again with some friends in September. We eat Chickfila professionally, in case you were wondering. Anyway, he is out in the bitter cold taking one for the team so we can restock our collection of coupons.
Now it is time for the season finale of our favorite show and I am incredibly proud to report my child is sleeping in his crib!
2 comments:
Hooray for Healthy Habit #1!!! Good for you, Callie! I'm so glad you found something that worked. But you didn't tell us what Critter's favorite music is. Is he falling asleep to Dad's sound? I'm thinking this may call for inclusion in next year's Thanksgiving CD. I really laughed at the hairstyle story. Callie, you have such gorgeous hair that you could wear it like a string mop and it would still look good! No offense intended, Jonathan, but I really do hope Josiah has Callie's hair genes. I'm sure it would still mohawk for you.
Your dad's really brave to go camping out in the cold like that. I couldn't handle it due to being cold natured. I inhearated being cold natured from Dad. May he rest in peace. What's Josiah's favorite music? Just curious.
Post a Comment