There have been so many days since I started work that I have wanted to write on the blog. Unfortunately, I have only gotten as far as the narration in my head, and by the time I get home I am so tired that it doesn't make it to the actual fabrication stage. Now that I am back at work I truly value every second I have with Josiah when I get home, and on the days that Jonathan and I are both home from work, I am trying to relish in the time I have with them. Telling stories about life can only happen if you live one.
On Thursday morning Callie and our friends Carrie and Morgan Tabb came over. Callie was teaching Carrie how to use her flash, and they were both brainstorming on fresh positions for baby photography. The lucky subjects were Morgan and Josiah. Granted Morgan is two months younger than Josiah, it was fascinating to see how very different their demeanors were. Josiah was a little rough around the edges in the way he played and interacted, whereas Morgan was delicate and gentle. It was the first time I realized that Josiah is a rumbling tumbling boy and definitely has the make up of snips and snails and puppy dog tails. There are two little girls in our play group, and their demeanors are very similar to that of Morgan. I never really thought much about it until I could really focus on the two genders side by side. There are truly remarkable differences between the two genders from the very start. This realization makes me excited and wary of what the next few years hold. I am excited to think about rough play and pirate adventures...and then I think about watching him jump from furniture that is way too high and climb things that weren't designed for a playground and my eyes get large and I have to remind myself, "These things will come and go, and they will surely be funny one day." I am grateful for a husband that knows when to take things lightly...the same things that would unravel me. I know that we will really balance each other well, and he will reassure me that a little paint will fix it and skinned knees heal faster than you think. I hope my "sanitized" self will not inhibit my son's need to eat dirt and icicles, and I even hope I'll put my hands in, too. I hope I won't tell him that the hill is too big to ride down when he really would do just fine. I hope that I remember that a bath will fix whatever he covers himself in, and calamine lotion is worth the trek through the woods. I hope my desire for a neat house is joyfully greeted with tents that use every blanket and chair in the house, and I remember that it doesn't take as long as I think to clean up. What I am realizing is that this whole parenting thing is much more about learning and growing myself than I ever knew before...and remembering what it's like to have an adventure.
I leave you with a silly picture from Callie's photo shoot. He was talking to her, I believe.
2 comments:
I'm so glad to hear you had no damage/injuries from the weather. Living in OK I certainly know how frightening they are when the are so close. I was anxious about you after hearing the news. And the plants probably are more resilient than you fear. Laughed and laughed about the gender analysis. Ask Grams! It is eloquently summarized in Karen and Tim's 1 year pics. lol. But your narrative, Callie, was beautiful. I do love epiphanies! I think there truly is nothing like seeing through the eyes of a child. I do hope there is more blog to come on this topic as all unfolds.
The second I heard about the Tornadoes my first thought was, "Callie." I'm just glad ya'll are O.K. That new pic of Josiah is to cute. Good luck with finding a owner for the house you and Jonathan renovated.
Post a Comment